OBDStar iScan

SJC69

Club Member
OBDStar iScan Harley Davidson Diagnostic System

Here we go, this is not going to be a full review of what it can and can’t do and if it is right for you, this is just my experience!

I haven’t posted this earlier as there have been some operational Software issues which regards the ABS have now, mostly been resolved. There are a couple of minor functions that don’t work on all our bikes, this may be how it is, as it is not fully encompassing cover on all and every models from ’08.
It ’should’ cover the Euro 5 models there is the latest diagnostic plug included but have not had an opportunity to try it out on one!

If you are not very good with electronic control systems and data diagnostics along with Software updates and dealing with any issues via remote help i.e. not personal contact, this may well not be for you!

The main thing I was looking for was to be able to carry out the full ABS circuit Bleed procedure on three bikes, two M8s and a TC, anything else that the FP3 can’t do, for me is a bit of a bonus as far as I am concerned.
An apparent anomaly is the M8 Brake Bleed appears to be able to be done without connecting the server whereas the TC does, this though could just be a seamless connection with the M8, what this most likely means is you do have to maintain a subscription to continue to do this!

So out the box from BMDiag as advertised it was all set up, Software installed and registered with OBDStar with all the information provided, the H-D 4 & 6 pin Deutsch plug adapter and the new six pin adapter along with a UK power supply.
Some of the Chinese/English translation is a bit clunky and everything is not totally intuitive.

20231103_120750.jpg

Visible screen area 108mm X 65mm 4 1/4 x 2 /1/2"

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

However, it does self-scan and you don’t have to enter any data to link with the bike, after that you select from Tabs what you want to do.

It is quite comprehensive regards interrogating and functional testing the various modules, will display data and software details as well a list fault codes and display and record live data, all would be very useful in tracking down faults.
It would also certainly appear that you can assign key fobs, it can display and alter the Security pins and does display the key fob serial numbers and you can edit/change these, however I have not actually done one!

So to start, you go to Diagnostics select H-D, click on the next tab to auto scan, you get a list of the modules, you can scan for DTCs, then log into each module and display various data.
Each module tends to have the same tabs as below:

000.png
001.png

004.png

005.png

Information will be serial numbers, Software etc.

002.png

003.png

DTC will be any for that module and can be cleared

Data will sensor readings etc.

0014.png

0015.png

0016.png

The real bonus here is the ability Data recording and play back option and all recordings can be played back as tables, gauges or charts!

Active Test will be switching things on & off to check the function

006.png

008.png

Regards ABS the M8s will go through all the functions on the ABS Active test whereas the TC will only carry out the first

Special Function covers more detail changes, such as Assigning Fobs, ABS Bleed, changing settings, some, you do appear to have to be online to do these.

Regards ABS the M8s will go through all the functions on the ABS Active test whereas the TC will only carry out the first
Update:-

I have been working though the software & function issues with the remote support team tweaking the software and new downloads, the above has now been sorted.

We started on V31.08 we are now on V31.10..... a couple of minor functions on the M8 Speedo tests left to work through!

Having just ordered an OBDStar iScan after reading your review above would I be correct in that with my M8 I would bleed the front and rear brake system then instruct the OBDStar to carry out the ABS bleed procedure which will flush brake fluid through the ABS module then re bleed the whole system and finally carry out the OBDStar procedure once again.
All advice appreciated.

The ABS service procedure is the process to run the pump and operation of the relays and valves to check the system & if necessary get any air out of the ABS activation unit.

So if you need to bleed the system to expel any air you would bleed the system as normal, then you go to the ABS service procedure and follow the steps.
Which are basically it instructs you what to do, such as to push the brake pedal or pull the lever and hold them operated while it runs the system and then ask if you feel the pulsing at the lever if yes then you move on, then re-bleed the system as normal to get any air out that has been pushed out the ABS unit.

If you just want to do a comprehensive brake fluid change, you would change the fluid, (I pull new fluid through with a MytiVac brake bleed pump), run the ABS service procedure, then change it again, the service procedure will have cycled all the valves & relays, run the pump moving any old fluid out the ABS unit and replaced it with new fluid you just put in and then the second change will then get all the old fluid out out the system!

A H-D sized 355ml bottle will be way more than you need for one bike you'll end up throwing most of it away!

Top Tip when using the OBDStar, depends on the model, but if you have a Halogen Headlight it will be on all the time and there is no fuse to isolate it and with the ignition on too it can discharge the battery relatively quickly, so leave it plugged into the Optimate/Battery Tender whilst doing the ABS service.

I also take a picture of the master cylinders fluid level before I start and then re-fill them to the same level so avoids any overfilling if the pads need replacing in-between fluid changes!

0013.png

With regards to the OBDStar - Question re the Special Function Tab - when entering this section I am confronted with the following- Password 123, Please - and cannot proceed further without a valid password.

Touching in the password box brings up the keyboard however only the numbers section of the keyboard work and my password for the iScan is letters and numbers, is the system asking for some other password I am not aware of to enable entry into the Special Function section?

This sounds far too simple, but the password is 123, then enter!

I've come across this many times in Diagnostic and Programming Software, the Password is there instead of a 'Are your Sure you want to do this, really sure' press here button. It's there so you cannot inadvertently access a particular function, you physically have to do more than press one button, a bit much for a competent person, but that's where we are at these days!

Back