Mechanical Oil Consumption - VRSCAW

D

dgrieve

I bought a new VROD last September and it needed no oil adding till about 3500 miles and now it requires regular topping up, about 200 mls every 350 miles (about 1 pint every 1000 miles) which seems a lot for a bike that is 7 months old and done just over 4100 miles. Anyone any experience of this issue? I will obviously be in contact with the dealer! meanwhile any information would be appreciated (I have read the things to check in the workshop manual!).
David Grieve (Callington Paragraph - there aren't enough of us for a Chapter).

Re: Oil Consumption - VRSCAW

It is usual for some motors to use a bit of oil till they bed in.
I would not expect a motor that has not used oil in the first 3500 miles to start using it then. As you have only done 600 miles since it started "using" it could you have parked the bike differently and have overfilled a bit. Some do "use" oil if the level is a bit high.

Re: Oil Consumption - VRSCAW

It is usual for some motors to use a bit of oil till they bed in.
I would not expect a motor that has not used oil in the first 3500 miles to start using it then. As you have only done 600 miles since it started "using" it could you have parked the bike differently and have overfilled a bit. Some do "use" oil if the level is a bit high.
Urrell - Many thanks, I spoke to the service chap at my dealer this afternoon and he (along similar lines to you) said that I should not fill to the top of the top up 'zone' but only about half way up (despite what the owners handbook says!).
Many thanks, David Grieve

Back