Oil in Air Filter on Heritage

SteveW65

Club Member
I'm getting a little oil in the air filter on my 2018 Heritage. First I thought the dealer had overfilled (which was the case) now level is ok it still happens now and then, not a lot of oil just a smal drip or two. I've read about crankcase breather needing cleaning due sticking, anyone any ideas ? Thanks.

Is the pipe that breathes into the throttle body positioned correctly? It should point directly into the throttle opening. It can dislodge and drip oil onto air cleaner area. Some oil is normal I believe. There's a thread on here somewhere about it. Marc Hammond explained the issue very well.

Is the pipe that breathes into the throttle body positioned correctly? It should point directly into the throttle opening. It can dislodge and drip oil onto air cleaner area. Some oil is normal I believe. There's a thread on here somewhere about it. Marc Hammond explained the issue very well.
Thanks Gez, yep just checked them both pointing into butterfly valve. There was a little residue in throttle body but not lots. I’ve watched some YouTubes of filters being installed. Some say run oil level at 1/2 way full reduces problem. I’ll search some more. 👍

Not a Harley expert by any means (but learning, as a Low Rider owner) but the M8 engine has a dry sump lubrication system so, theoretically, the (separate) oil tank could be overful as the oil pump transfers the oil to crankshaft etc, then falls into the crankcase area, where the scavenge pump will push it back into the oil tank. Therefore, the oil tank level shouldn't be an issue, unless badly overfilled. A wet sump engine, if overful, could find it's way into the crankcase breathers (helped by normal crankcase pressure), then up into air cleaner. However, some M8 engines haves suffered from "sumping", where the oil in the crankcase is not scavenged quickly enough, which could lead to breathing system oil overload. I have a suspicion though, that your situation is normal.
There are far more expert HD riders/owners than me on here, so maybe you may get some other feedback.

Oil level 1/2 way up the dipstick cold should cure it. I've always run my 2019 FXLR that way, if it's filled to the full level it spits a bit out.

Back