Phantom Email

D

dpb-RK

Lately my computer has been sending the same Email to Molan. it just says 'February price' and has an attachment,( Molan has not opened this attachment)

I have scanned my pooter half to death. Symantec Viruscan for virus and spyware, AOl Spyware protection, Ad Aware SE and a thingy called Windows KB which searches for Malware.
Apart from the the usual tracking cookies and other nuisance bits and bobs which the scans bring to light and delete I can find nothing out of the ordinary.
Last night I deleted Molans Email address from my Address book, his message to me this morning was 'yep' another one this morning.
My question is of course 'What the F?$% is going on and how do I stop it?'
As far as I know Mo is the only recipient of these rogue Eees, unless of course someone tells me different.
I would be grateful for any help in this matter. So far Mo has been very patient but that patience has got to be wearing thin:D

Re: Phantom Email

To follow up. I managed to talk (on-line) to AOL, Sujith, oh well, they told me to re-install AOL. I have done so. Now I wait for Moley to call:D

One possible solution for Molan would be to have any emails from you treated as spam by his server. Not the best of solutions, but you would still be able to converse through PMs, so it wouldn't totally cut off communications.

From your side, Dave, it does sound like you have a worm/virus. I use McAfee, and have not had any problems so far. You'll probably get some negative comments on AOL services, as usual, but here's hoping that the reload will eliminate the problem.

Cheers llew, I have just been thru 17 pages of 'February price' removal instructions. I have found no trace of the virus, have looked in 'hosts', completed another 'full system' scan and followed the registry paths to where alterations should have been.

Whats going on:)

Are you sure that it's you sending the Emails. Most of this type are actually remotely sent be rogue emailers using your name. You need to look at the message source to determine where it really came from.

Thanks Roger, I have in the last few mins realised that this must be the case (hopefully) having just about exhausted the scanning options and myself. I do not quickly cry 'it's not me' but in this case .........:( .

I'll speak to Moley later

In Llew's link it says that the email "spoofs" the sender's name - so it's unlikely that it actually came from you :)

grumpygit said:
In Llew's link it says that the email "spoofs" the sender's name - so it's unlikely that it actually came from you :)
That's the other possibility. If it's a spoof, then I would assume that if Molan labelled it Spam, this would not have an effect on any emails Dave would actually send to Molan? Also if Molan displays the details of the messages being sent, wouldn't he be able to detect the spoof when compared with the details of an actual email from Dave? Then I would assume he could take action (if he wanted to) against the person doing the spoofing through the server?

usabear said:
Then I would assume he could take action (if he wanted to) against the person doing the spoofing through the server?

I'll be the one taking the action Mr Bear:D

Back