Photobucket

Gizmo

Club Member
Looks like Photobucket have finally pulled the plug on embedding images hosted on their site on forums etc unless you pay their annual ransom.

bad times!

Re: Photobucket

Test
Bike%20Camera_zps8trpbjru.jpg

Warnings gone when copying embed code and it looks like it is sharing again.

Looks like pretty much all the tech stuff, tech tips, etc. are about as much use as a chocolate teapot now. Would take forever to host them elsewhere....
Any ideas?

Yes, but they're just comments, and the users are powerless. It's legalised (if it IS legal) extortion.
Wait a few years until millions of sites are dependent on hosted content, then press the 'you must pay to restore your content' button.
I assume it's desperation, as I can't see many paying, and their site has become virtually unusable over the past year or so

Things change especially FREE sites. The bit I can't understand is people complaining that they've lost / can't get there pictures back from the site.

Surely if your pictures are important to you then you would have them in your own backup and the images you give to another site would be copies.

Looks like pretty much all the tech stuff, tech tips, etc. are about as much use as a chocolate teapot now. Would take forever to host them elsewhere....
Any ideas?

It may affect some of the posts people have put on here (can't say how many) and they can rectify that but I think the majority of the stuff in tech stuff etc will be unaffected as the images were uploaded to this site.

As to ideas. Well I think it is now fairly easy to upload images to this site so why not use this.

We already hold in the region of 15,000 post attachments / images. The Gallery is growing and is at 357.

And I don't think we have any plans to start charging people!

Last edited:

A lot of the posts pre-date the site's ability to upload directly, and finding and correcting those that have bad links would take weeks. AFAIK there's no issue with downloading pix from PB, although it does take forever, especially when there's a few billion others getting done at the same time... I guess most people would still have the originals, but a lot of people depend on cloud storage these days (unwisely perhaps).

I've not looked at mine recently but they've been telling for ages that I'm approaching my maximum storage memory and want money so I'd stopped putting new stuff there - does this mean that anything I've already posted have disappeared?

I've not looked at mine recently but they've been telling for ages that I'm approaching my maximum storage memory and want money so I'd stopped putting new stuff there - does this mean that anything I've already posted have disappeared?

Its all still there (at least mine is) you just can't link to it so any threads you have posted picks in if any will just show there stock picture.

You can still get them out if you have used it for storage.

I think it will be a warning shot for anyone who uses cloud storage (which this is a form of). Once you have given all your stuff to someone else they can do whatever they want with it subject to there ever changing terms an conditions.

Back