Primary drain plug Allen size 2007 twin cam 96

Invasion1973

Just getting tools sorted from a friends house . Can anyone tell me the primary drain plug Allen size ? Is it 1/4 another question is when I replace plug do I just hand tight or torque to Harley specs which I believe is 15-21 fit lbs or 19-28.5 NM
Thanks

Last edited:
Just getting tools sorted from a friends house . Can anyone tell me the primary drain plug Allen size ? Is it 1/4 another question is when I replace plug do I just hand tight or torque to Harley specs which I believe is 15-21 fit lbs or 19-28.5 NM
Thanks
Do not over tighten the drain plug its tapered

The Primary Drain plug is the same as the oil sump & gear box drain plugs, they take a 5/8 A/F socket and have a 1/4 A/F Allen recess.

They all have the same torque setting of 14-21Ft Lbs (19 - 28.5 Nm), hand tight is highly variable so I would suggest if you can use the torque setting specified.

Don't forget to replace the 'O' ring or at least inspect it for damage, buy a bag of them, they are cheap you need 3 on each full oil change!
Drain Plug 'O' Ring H-D Part No. 11105 (You can get a bag from aftermarket suppliers)

If the plug head is damaged, or rounded off consider replacing it, even the H-D one is less than a fiver!

You can also use some PTFE tape on the thread or use liquid PTFE to achieve a better seal!

Screenshot 2023-08-17 084326.jpg

Last edited:
The Primary Drain plug is the same as the oil sump & gear box drain plugs, they take a 5/8 A/F socket and have a 1/4 A/F Allen recess.

They all have the same torque setting of 14-21Ft Lbs (19 - 28.5 Nm), hand tight is highly variable so I would suggest if you can use the torque setting specified.

Don't forget to replace the 'O' ring or at least inspect it for damage, buy a bag of them, they are cheap you need 3 on each full oil change!
Drain Plug 'O' Ring H-D Part No. 11105 (You can get a bag from aftermarket suppliers)

If the plug head is damaged, or rounded off consider replacing it, even the H-D one is less than a fiver!

You can also use some PTFE tape on the thread or use liquid PTFE to achieve a better seal!

View attachment 1196372
Thank you for the tips much appreciated.
Just attempted to remove plug seems very tight won’t budge is it a normal thread can I just check sitting at side of bike from above am I pulling towards me or pushing away….do t want accidentally over tighten thinking I’m taking it out

On mine (2003) it is indeed a screw.
T40 Torx is what fits it.
When replacing I find a few turns of PTFE tape helps.
Don't screw it too far in, perhaps one thread showing, or they can catch inside and knock the magnet off (I've had it happen)

Thank you I’ll watch out for the magnet.
Hade the primary oil changed last service and have done about 1000 miles done since. ( changing now as I’m fitting manual chain adjuster)Does this look like it had a new new o ring fitted at service seems to have a very thin one and then main one ?
Or is this what happens when they are clamped down ? As you can tell
I haven’t done this before !!!!

IMG_7813.jpeg

IMG_7812.jpeg

Ah, I see they'd changed the plug by 2007 so ignore my ramblings,sorry.
That O ring looks knackered, a single good quality O ring should do it but I personally use decent copper washers on those types of plugs.

That is most likely a single 'O' ring split in two and a typical reason why the 'O' ring is recommended to be replaced each time and certainly needs replacing!

Part No 60328-98A/B thread is not tapered it is 1/2 UNF.
If you look at my above picture of the H-D part you can see there is a recess for the 'O' ring to sit in and best to use the correct size 'O' ring as a too thick or thin or large etc may catch split & not seal as it is made to sit in that recess and seal against the machined flat on the case.

The type in M&M's post is a NPT (National Pipe Tapered) so a tapered thread, not shouldered or has an 'O' ring. so if overtightened can crack the case!
(See Below for NPT type plug)

Screenshot 2023-08-17 122033.jpg

That is most likely a single 'O' ring split in two and a typical reason why the 'O' ring is recommended to be replaced each time and certainly needs replacing!

Part No 60328-98A/B thread is not tapered it is 1/2 UNF.
If you look at my above picture of the H-D part you can see there is a recess for the 'O' ring to sit in and best to use the correct size 'O' ring as a too thick or thin or large etc may catch split & not seal as it is made to sit in that recess and seal against the machined flat on the case.

The type in M&M's post is a NPT (National Pipe Tapered) so a tapered thread, not shouldered or has an 'O' ring. so if overtightened can crack the case!
(See Below for NPT type plug)

View attachment 1196386
Thanks for the info really appreciated 👍🏻 I got gasket service kit from HD yesterday 17369-06 I have put new o-ring on plug seems slightly big I’m assuming it will be ok ? Fingers crossed.

Back