Progressive 422

raeburn

Club Member
Seen a fair bit of information about the Progressive 422 for softails, basically are they worth the investment? I know the limitation of the softail suspension but the time has come where I need a more "comfortable" ride.
Cheers Phil

Re: Progressive 422

Seen a fair bit of information about the Progressive 422 for softails, basically are they worth the investment? I know the limitation of the softail suspension but the time has come where I need a more "comfortable" ride.
Cheers Phil

Hi Phil just swapped my original HD shocks for Progressive 422s on my 2001 Heritage. I am not convinced that i have got 'bang for buck' on it.
I rode around for a long time on the stock setup as I originally got it. Eventually realised that it may be worth adjusting the stock shocks first. Pretty gummed up and not easy to work on like that but worth the effort. Odirginal setting is poor on the bends and gave me little confidence and also bottoms out on lumps far too easy. I increased the tension on mine by 3 complete turns out (factory is set to zero) and for solo riding it made a huge difference. stopped scraping the footboards on the roundabouts and having way more fun.
Got me excited about improving the suspension so got the Progressive 422s also got the PS front springs too. I have not noticed a great improvemment yet but early days and not noticeably more comfortable when adjusted to give proper damping (they are set to lowest setting from new too). They are adjustable for lowering but despite looking cool I didn't enjoy riding like that with floorboards (maybe ok with foot pegs) You can't adjust to increase height. I haven't fully explored the settings but I would not go rushing to swop out stock stuff without tweaking it first.
I would say to anybody just try adjusting your stock shocks on your Softail. ( get the adjustment spanner it does the locknut too and a big can of something to spray on all the crap that has accumulated down there) And put some heavier fluid in your front forks (20W Silkolene frok oil worked well for me)
Then have fun riding yr Softail

Re: Progressive 422

Cheers Chris, good info. I have adjusted the HD shocks to softest setting... think I'm a bit light at 12 stone!

Well I have just fitted some 422 shocks, first impression is not much difference maybe softens some of the spine jarring bumps a bit.......but we will see!

Had a couple of years on the 422's found the handling good but not the comfort. Anybody tried Legend Revo A's?

Reactions: M&M
Back