Project SX250

Oddjob

Just picked up this SX250. Should keep me busy.

532ec5a2-88cf-4834-93dd-41bb76427e08_zps2f9f390a.jpg

f5bd1c54-ed25-4780-8bee-ae5c1c552870_zps6d664007.jpg

Re: Project SX250

Looks like a good little project Paul and mostly complete, which is important as some bits are like bloody gold dust!, hows the motor, does it spin over?I have a couple of spares hanging around from the SS I restored somewhere if you need anything, as well as manuals and parts books in pdf etc

Looks like a good little project Paul and mostly complete, which is important as some bits are like bloody gold dust!, hows the motor, does it spin over?I have a couple of spares hanging around from the SS I restored somewhere if you need anything, as well as manuals and parts books in pdf etc

No it's seized, but ever the optimist I'll have a go at rescuing it, failing that I've seen a motor for sale, so I might just go that route.

A cursory look over, and there's not much it needs, although everything needs restoring.

Its got an ignition switch and both instruments, although the speedo got knocked off in transit (bugg*r). The side stand is missing along with the piece of frame it fastens to which I think must be a weak spot as Harley marketed a "repair" side stand that clamped to the frame.

I had reserved a pair of mint wheels at a breakers, with newish tyres and all the brake gubbins and hubs in good condition, but when I turned up yesterday, they told me the Saturday lad had sold them to someone else not knowing they were reserved.

The last bike I had with as few bits as this was my Suzuki TS185 in the 70's.

Dave (Limey Dave) has sent me links to manuals and parts list (cheers Dave), I'll post updates as I go, so I might be in touch to see what bits you have.

It's just a matter of sliding past the Obersturmbannfuhrer between Xmas and the New Year to get started on it. :D

Yes, side stands are not up to the job (owners should not sit on bike with feet up when they are parked) and though the chrome bore was supposed to be a good feature it does make re-boring impossible - new cylinder only.

My side stand snapped early this year. And although it's been welded it's still on dodgy. If you find a repair kit for them I will be interested?

My side stand snapped early this year. And although it's been welded it's still on dodgy. If you find a repair kit for them I will be interested?

Graham, Did it break at the frame or the actual stand?

No it's seized, but ever the optimist I'll have a go at rescuing it, failing that I've seen a motor for sale, so I might just go that route.

Be patient with it and it may work, I left mine soaking for 3 or 4 days and nothing, maybe a bit of heat would have helped, dunno I gave up in the end and had to beat the piston out of the barrel.
If you can get one and intend on keeping it when its finished I would recommend a spare motor I, its what I did in the end as barrels, pistons and rings are very scarce as are alot of the clutch and gearbox parts. I had a fella make me a set of rings in the end for as it was faster and cheaper than getting them in from the US. Then just as i was getting ready to run it I found a spare barrel, piston and rings (in Gypsy's Garage of all places :439:) so used them and rebuilt my spare motor and sold it complete!

Hi Paul. What ever happened to the old SX 250 then ? Did it get finished?

Back