rear shocks for a 2015 fat bob

Bob_103

Club Member
lads, can someone point me in the right direction please.
i have the chance of a rear shocker upgrade, so i ask are Bi-Turbo a good quality increase in performance than standards

Lukey put Hagon Nitro's on his, built to his specs. Reckon's they transform the handling. I think he went an inch longer?

The specs need to be read carefully as to what you actually get. Increasing the length of the shock doesn't necessarily mean you get an extra inch in travel.

Increasing travel but using similar rate springs will give a better ride. Fitting springs more suited to your riding weight even at the same length as the bike has will improve the ride.

Think about your car and how much it weighs. You can push down on a corner and then see it bounce up, slightly down and settle but when you are driving your car it doesn't bounce up and down like that. The springs are soft but controlled by the dampers.

It is my conclusion that good shocks have softer springs controlled by adjustable damping.

The stock shocks on my Sportster I was unable to push down and get any movement out of them.

The specs need to be read carefully as to what you actually get. Increasing the length of the shock doesn't necessarily mean you get an extra inch in travel.

Increasing travel but using similar rate springs will give a better ride. Fitting springs more suited to your riding weight even at the same length as the bike has will improve the ride.
Just to add a bit to what Andy, says here, the length of a M/C shock is generally given as the length between the mounting holes, the travel is the length in effect that the damper rod can compress from fully extended, i.e. maximum up and down.

A lot of companies use the same damper rod, piston etc. especially where the shock is fitted with adjustable length adjustment by use of a screwed on eyelet, so making the overall shock length longer in these cases does not increase the travel.

i had to give my weight, height, and leg length, ????, strange, ive gone for Ohlins 12.5inch

I bought Progressive Suspension 412 Full Cover in either black or chrome for my 2015 FXDF Dyna Fatbob 103, nothing special and definitely not expensive, just no more boing boing, they actually absorbed the road condtions some. Worked well with "Progressives in the front and the Burely Brand Pre Load Adjusters" to give a stable no more wallow more spirited ride. Two rates standard and heavy duty. Standard for the average joe and his missus and heavy duty for them fat fcukers amonst us.
Shock is 12inch in length, I forget what the originals are but these were a tad longer so made the swing arm sit more level, if they assisted in making the steering lighter I could not tell.
I bought heavy duty and regretted it as solo was on min setting and far too strong.
Unless your a behemoth go with standard and adjust accordingly like with the harley oem shocks.
If interested in these stylish if somewhat basic performing shocks, Click The Link Above "Can People See The Included Hyperlink??"
1.One.jpg

Last edited:
Back