Rear wheel spacer

Glynnr

Club Member
On my 2008 FLHTCUSE ABS should there be a spacer between the rear sprocket and the swing arm? Or does the sprocket bolt right up to the swing arm? Just had new tyre fitted and something isn’t right???

IMG_5500.jpeg

I'm sure there is a spacer, below is the parts drawing , for an '08, 5 is the bearing 7 is the spacer!
The only time there is no spacer is where the axel abuts to the bearing as in some front forks.

1689348015907.png

Jersey has that (thin) spacer listed at £34.67!!! Anyone know the dimensions or where I might get one at a reasonble price?

TBH that’s not a bad price considering the alternative, you can get them cheaper from the US, but by the time you’ve coughed out for shipping, tax etc it’ll probably be more. Although agree that if someone has the dimensions you could probably pick up a washer from a local hardware store.

Looked online. There’s not an exact size… must be made specially for H.D. I ordered one that’s pretty close so I may have to turn it down. £10.00 including postage. Funnily enough the wheel spacer on my old 850 Commando is pretty close….!

It’s often the case, it’s pretty rare that a manufacturer will have parts like this especially made, it’s to expensive, they just try and work around what their suppliers already produce whenever possible. Funnily enough I’ve just discovered that my Honda VT1100 shadow tourer & my wide glide share exactly the same 41mm Showa forks!! I’m upgrading the suspension on both bikes, progressive springs, cartridge emulators yada yada so was doing the usual measurements when I realised. Handy cos I just had to order 2 of everything.

Reactions: M&M
Sorted!….. I ordered a spacer nearly the same size…ground it down to fit…..after waiting for postie 3 days…..just as I’m inserting the axle I notice the washer for the axle nut is nearly the same size…… why don’t I use that?…. Quick check of the manual… there isn’t a washer/spacer on the axle nut!
So confession time… I had in effect put the spacer at the wrong end of the axle🤔🤔🤔
Thanks to all for their help… I’m off to sit in a quiet room for a bit…..

Back