Red Alarm light on Speedometer remains lit when riding

Hodgie

As per title, the bike is a 2013 FXDF Fat Bob 103.
Yesterday whilst riding I noticed the red light was on. I stopped and turned off the bike in an attempt to re set the alarm. That didn't work though a few miles down the road it went out so thought it was cured. Happened again today, started to illuminate as I pulled away from home and remained on. On returning home I disconnected the battery, again in an attempt to re set the alarm, to no avail. Tried setting off the alarm to reset it by standing the bike up with the fob some distance away, with the ignition swithch off - the alarm sounded as it should.
No recent work on the bike that could have upset something. Fob battery changed yesterday after the fault started but made no difference.
The bike is functioning without any other issues at all.
SYMPTOMS - With fob in pocket, turn on the ignition, red alarm light illuminates then goes out. Start the motor and the red light illuminates again and stays on.
ANY IDEAS FOLKS ???
TIA

yeah, I just realised the rear light is out and neither brake lights work. Checked the bulb, all is good. Getting late. Will spend more time tomorrow.

Bloody hate electrical faults and with no rear light or brake lights I'm off the road. Gonna go over it today. Will feedback if I suss it out.

Check cables haven’t come loose a rubbed on rear tyre. Are rear indicators working if not my guess is cable has rubbed through on back tyre.

Thanks for all suggestions offered chaps.
The small 4 inch rear light socket assembly 'wires with bulb holder on one end and a connector on the other' was goosed so I ordered another from Hogparts, £15.34 including bulb. Part number 68370-03. Bodged the current one together for the time being until the new one arrives. Not been out on it yet so will confirm later if it was a fix.

Bastardised the current rear light socket assembly until the new one comes. Whilst pissing about I realised that the front brake lever was not fully returning all the way forward so the brake light stayed on unless the lever is pushed forward. Serviced the master cylinder using existing parts but got a rebuild kit to order.
Just been out and about. Alarm light goes off on start up. All fault codes cleared, and now the front brake light is going off without touching the lever.
Happy Daze.

Sorry for the late input Hodgie, I had same issue on the Fat Bob. Alarm light would come on riding along, nudge back of front brake lever and it would go off. Tried various mods including master cylinder rebuild, wedging the brake lever when you reassemble and none of it worked for very long so fitted a Goodridge hydraulic front brake light switch and happy days. Had to wire in a 5 pin relay to stop the front brake being on all the time and going off when you pull the lever, but all good now. Son works at Hinckley and did the electrics based on the PDF below and one constant PITA now cured

Attachments

• 5 PIN Relay Wiring.pdf
    247.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: M&M
Thanks for your input Steve. Turned out to be a sticking front brake master cylinder piston. Once cleaned up, all is now well. Red light on dash out and error codes cleared.

Back