Region 29 Newsletter for January 2023

Trish121

Committee
Region 29 Newsletter for January 2023

Happy New Year!

Christmas Party

There are a few returns for the spaces at the party on 14th January, so if you missed to secure one, do contact Al Lloyd - on a 1st come 1st served basis.

Plans for 2023

We’ve had a few suggestions for group activities for the winter months. Al is sorting something out right now and will post about it soon. Watch this space! If you have an idea, too, let us know.

The Harleyquin

You might have noticed our submission was edited in latest ‘quin magazine, so I’ve included those exerts at the end here, so you have something to read on these cold dark nights! I do thank those that took the time to give us stories or personal experiences, so it was shame to lose them. Also, my apologies to Dave Evans for previously attributing him, his bike and his ride out to Dave Edwards!

A Reminder Of Upcoming Important Meetings

• Our Region Annual General Meeting: on Sunday 19th February, 2pm to 4pm at The Bridge End Hotel, Llangollen, LL20 8RY, in the Function Room upstairs. Please do come, have lunch before if you like and then take part in a key event for our region and the club.
  • Nominations for our Region Committee Members: If you are standing, please inform me by 5th February 2023, by email or messenger, but do feel free to let members know now that you are planning to do so they get a chance to know who you are. You need to be a full member for the Rep and Asst Rep roles.
  • Postal Voting for the Top Four Roles in H-DRCGB Committee: The top roles of President, Vice President, Chair and Vice Chair will be chosen via a postal vote for the first time in the Club’s history. Their ‘manifestos’ and the postal voting slips will be in February’s Harleyquin. There will also a zoom presentation with the candidates, so you get to hear from them directly.
  • National Harley-Davidson Riders’ CLUB of Great Britain AGM: this is being held on Saturday 11th March 2023 in Market Harborough. A few of us will be attending and any member is welcome. The remainder of the national committee will be elected here, and important decisions discussed and agreed.
This and next month’s Meets are:

• Shropshire: The Cock Hotel, SY5 8LY: Thursday 12th January and Thursday 9th February 7pm
  • North West Wales: The Bryn Arms, LL41 4EN: Sunday 8th January & Sunday 12th February 1pm
  • North Wales: The Swan, CH7 5LB: Sunday 15th January and 19th February 7pm
November Harleyquin Missing Bits

DAVE EVANS
an enthusiastic and regular rider, whether in groups of on his own, told me how he came to join the Club. “I had not long got my first Harley (Night Rod special) and went for a ride out to Llangollen. Once there, I noticed a lot of Harley T-shirts walking about so I asked a random couple with said T-shirts on, what was happening. They told me about a rally, which I later learnt was the H-DRCGB International and said I should go up have a look. The guy on the gate said, ‘no problem’ and to park up. At first, I was a bit wary as clubs can be very ‘clicky’; I noticed the rally marquee straightaway and then wandered round the site looking at bikes and stalls, ending up back at the marquee. There I asked if I could buy a brew, a chap I now know to be Tich, said ‘just help yourself’. After speaking to Tich for five minutes felt I’d known him years. He introduced me to Trish and Al; and realised this club isn’t egos and attitudes, it’s just a club of like-minded people like myself that want no-strings rides and fun without patches. Trish advised me how to join up if I wanted to and Al got me onto the local region Facebook page from where I made my decision to join after looking at the previous posts. I have no regrets and have met some great people and look forward to many Club activities.”

He is an avid rider and told me about a recent ride:

So, I watched a video on YouTube about a route around Mid Wales and the Llanberis Pass. It looked like an awesome run but was a long way to go, as I was starting from Stoke -n Trent. I decided stretch the day out a bit and what started as a good idea turned into a long day on the bike. I started off from home at 9am and the first stop was to be Aberystwyth but after a while on quite average roads, I decided to stop at Welshpool for a quick stretch and smoke. I rode onto Aberystwyth via the A44 - what an awesome road! I was tempted to turn round and do it all again but knew I didn’t have time.

Stopped in ‘Aber’ for a chippy dinner and a fridge magnet (wife said I have to buy her one from everywhere I go 😂) Next stop was to be Caernarfon and the roads are stunning! Mountains, estuaries, sea-side towns, they have the lot. After Caernarfon I headed for my original destination - Llanberis Pass and Nant Peris. Could the scenery get any better? Yes! It was breath-taking; well worth taking the long way round to get there.

From there I went onto Betws y Coed and had planned to stop in Llangollen next, but it was getting late, with very wet roads, so I decided to follow the Satnav’s fastest route home. It still took me through Wrexham and Nantwich, so I reached home around 10pm. All day and 319 miles - it’s definitely not a ride to forget; Welsh scenery is pretty hard to beat, and the roads were empty for 90% of the time”

NEIL WOODHOUSE joined the Club after visiting a local multi type bike night organised by our Asst Rep Neal Benting; as Neil told me,” The local bike night at ‘The Tiddly’ at Ellerdine in Shropshire is where I met the Region 29 guys… they always made me feel welcome and I’d enjoy chatting away, telling and listening to stories and seeing the other bikes. I’d been asked to join but for no particular reason I was a little sceptical. And then after taking part in a region ride for a member’s granddaughter’s Prom night and really enjoying that feeling of being part of something, joining the club was a natural next step to getting that feeling again and being part of something that would give me the opportunity for rideouts with fellow like-minded folk on similar bikes.

I asked Neil about his history with bikes and Harleys specifically; he told me, “I’ve been into bikes since I was a young kid. When I was about four years old a neighbour had a bike which he used to let me sit on, I was hooked since then! After a lifetime of sports bikes, I decided to calm down a little and came to appreciate a different kind of bike: The Harley. This was deeply influenced by my new American wife, spending so much time in the US and cruising around Illinois on a Street Glide. It took a while, but I finally found the Harley for me in the UK; my Softail Breakout. For me, the Harley is not about speed, it’s about the feeling the bike gives you and the associated lifestyle that you can get on the Harley that other bikes don’t give you. Let’s be honest, they are just damn cool! Thanks for having me.”

ADAM HILL had an epic ride to Spain, joining his family who travelled by air. He told me, “Back in 1988 the South Downs Region of the Club set off for the Crazy Brothers Rally in Castellon de la Plana, Spain. Although we didn't all make it, back then, I decided to do a re-run this September. Taking the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry, I headed down through France, Andorra and Spain over 3 days with a mix of camping and hotels, based on the weather, before meeting up with the family at a rented Villa near Barcelona. Ronnie and I then headed down to Castellon on the Friday where H-DC Big Twin Espana have been running the event for many years. Excellent rally with many bands, stalls, Saturday ride out and beach party plus the custom show. Bumped into a few people I know, which is always good. There are lots of pictures on the Spanish clubs’ Facebook page. After another couple of days at the Villa, I headed back north through France, taking three days to get to Normandy, before getting the Caen - Portsmouth ferry home. My 2003 Road King covered 2,850 miles during the two weeks with no major problems. The picture was taken at a little campsite in Lastours, southern France.”

Thanks, guys, for sharing with us!

Trish x

Back