Remapping ?

M

ManxMuscle

I'm looking to swap the standard exhaust on my muscle for a pair of Vance & Hines Competition Slip-ons.

I've googled extensively and jury appears to be out as to whether the engine should be remapped.

Can anybody here shed any light on the subject, or muddy the waters further ?

Re: Remapping ?

Not 100% about a VROD but on the air-cooled engines there is no need to remap for an exhaust swap. Generally if you upgrade the air-cleaner as well then you need to sort out the fuel. Having said that, in the last two years ('09-'10 models) HD's recomendation is that stage-1 tuning is no longer necessary even with a full stage-1, the EFI can manage the change.

Not 100% about a VROD but on the air-cooled engines there is no need to remap for an exhaust swap. Generally if you upgrade the air-cleaner as well then you need to sort out the fuel. Having said that, in the last two years ('09-'10 models) HD's recomendation is that stage-1 tuning is no longer necessary even with a full stage-1, the EFI can manage the change.

Thanks for that.

I found this article about EFI
Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Fuel Injection Explained

Not having a Harley dealer within 100 miles of here (not to mention the boat journey) I think my best bet is to fit them and see how it goes. If the performance is effected or it doesn't sound right, then I'll get it remapped on the next service, which wont be too long.

Could try having a look on 1130cc , a website specifically for v rods, regards, Daz.

Thanks for your replies.
I figured the best way to resolve the problem was to ask V&H. Here's their reply.

Steve,
****Yes, when you upgrade your stock system to an aftermarket system or slip ons, it is necessary to upgrade the air filter kit to a high flow set up, and re-map the fuel injection system with a fuel management module. *Aftermarket exhaust systems such as ours are designed to be less restrictive, but much more high flowing to attain optimum performance gains. *When you install a high flowing exhaust system to your bike, a lot more air will be extracted in through the intake & in to the combustion chamber. *This increase of air needs to be compensated with more fuel. *On fuel injected motors, this can only be done electronically. *Failure to tune your fuel injection system appropriately can cause a lean condition in the motor. *This can lead to future problems and internal damage.****For this we offer the Fuel Pak. *The Fuel Pak module is a plug and play module that needs no dealer installation nor Dyno time. *It was designed to allow the average customer to be able to install and program on their own. *Retail price of the Fuel Pak is $279.95.--
Hector Montoya *
|____________________________
Vance & Hines
13861 Rosecrans Ave.
Santa Fe Springs,
CA 90670p. ***562 .921 .7461 *f. ***562 .802 .0110

Back