removing a fuel tank

B

bogus

I need to remove the fuel tank from my 1998 dyna superglide can anyone tell me how to overcome the vacum that stops the fuel from draining out via the fuel valve. In the manual it says to use a vacum pump , is there an alternative way of doing this or is it down to the old method of a length of pipe and an unleaded fuel mouth wash.
Cheers

Re: removing a fuel tank

bogus said:
or is it down to the old method of a length of pipe and an unleaded fuel mouth wash.

I've just used the tried and tested hose pipe method, but it don't help get the fuel out of the opposite side of the tank, grrr. I undid the crossover and then drained the second half of the tank, a vacuum pump would have been useful I suppose but what the hell it kept me off the rollies for half an hour :D

Hi, try this. switch the petrol tap to reserve, get a small pipe to the vacuum port on the petrol switch and connect a bigish syringe to the pipe. Pull the syringe handle out (creates a vacuum) and collect draining fuel into a jerry can.
Please do this outdoors as you do not want fumes building up in your shed/garage.
I cannot remember if the fuel tap is vacuum operated on reserve as well as ON.

You can bet your boots there will be some fuel left in the tank after you have drained it. Be prepared for some coming out when you disconnect the pipe at the front.
Failing that, as you say, siphon it.

Hope this is of use.

NO SMOKING PLEASE

Put a peg on the syringe to stop it 'going back in'. ;)

If you need a syringe get one from a Druggie friend, :eek: Vets, Big Pet Superstore or even a pharamacy that's if you don't know any medical people whom you can blag one from! :rolleyes:

Steve

while you have the tank off put a quick release fuel pipe connector in the crossover pipe. that way you won't have to drain the fuel next time you take the tank off.

I just did mine. The syringe didn't work for me (maybe not big enough) so I used a bit of pipe, stuck it in me mouth, and sucked. Worked just fine, but a bit long winded (no pun intended). A one-way valve on the sucker pipe would have let me draw the vacuum, and knock off for a fag and a cuppa, but I didn't have anything suitable. They say you can damage the diaphragm if too much vacuum, so just drew enough to get the fuel flowing and no more.
Have to say, after pi55ing about doing that, I still got loads of fuel peeing out of the crossover when it was disconnected, so be ready for that (I wasn't).:eek:
Have a short length of fuel pipe made up, blanked off at one end with a suitable bolt and hoseclip. Get another, longer length of pipe, and fit a bit of tube of the right diameter inside it, and hoseclip it on. Leave enough of the tube sticking out, so it will fit into another length of hose (the crossover pipe). Stick one end of this long hose into your fuel drain can. When you pull the crossover hose off, stick your thumb over the crossover hose, and your blanked piece of hose over the tank outlet. That's one side sealed off, and you don't have to worry about it.
Remove thumb, and replace it with the bit of tube sticking out of your drain hose. That drains the excess from one side. When it's stopped draining, remove the tube, and transfer it to your short length of hose on the other side, after removing your blanking plug (you'll need your thumb again). Make a note to buy one of these quick release clamps for next time, as mentioned above....;)

Fuel Hose Size

Fuel Hose Size

Easy one this time :rolleyes:
Can someone please let me know what the diameter of fuel hose is, and can anyone suggest where to get nice soft modern hose (like is on it) and not the old reinforced transparent stuff that goes hard in anything less than a heatwave, or if put within 10 miles of fuel... :confused:
I've measured the hose and the spigot, and both are about 7mm, which of course is midway between 1/4" (6mm) and 5/16" (8mm).
I'm guessing at 8mm, but I don't want to lash out ?20 on a coupler, only to find it doesn't fit....:(
Thanx!

Back