Removing inlet manifold tips

Ryz

Club Member
Hi guys my 1200 sportster has developed a running issue, after chasing it around the fuel system I think it has an air leak as when it's running i spray some brake cleaner around the manifold and the revs jump up. I've been trying to take it off this morning and can't get a decent amount of pressure on the bolts to crack them off. I cut down a 1/4 allan to try and get that in there but it's a pretty crap design surly bolts would have made more sence for this application. Has anyone got any tips on removing this. Thanks Ryan

I use a long (about 6") Ball End Socket Driver. This gives a bit of wobble room as you cannot get a straight shot at it otherwise. Hope that makes sense? The Screws/Bolts on my TC are 5/16-18 X 3/4" I don't know if yours are the same size, check with Parts Book.
I saw a Video about replacing the Hex Head Screws with normal bolts but only on the side away from the Carb. So much easier to do/undo than the Hex.
I can't remember off hand the make of my Hex Set but I will go and check when I get home and let you know.

I just went to find the Tool I used and It has disappeared! FFS, I hate loosing Tools! However I found my set of Teng T-Handle Hex Drivers and checked the size needed for the Screw/Bolt on mine,. It is 1/4". So if you can't get a 1/4" Ball End Socket Driver this will do the job.
Good luck...Pat.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

Ryz, I found this when looking for a replacement if I can't find mine.
Click HERE for Prime Tools. Obviously check it is 1/4" that you need.

Thanks guys I've ordered a set of imperial ball end allens but wanted to get it sorted today so managed to get the bugger off using a combination of these. The gaskets are shot so hopefully get it back together and be out on it tomorrow. Thanks

20230715_173005.jpg

Reactions: M&M
Best move when you put it back use bolts instead of cap screws on the 2 lower manifold bolts each side easy to tighten and seals completely no leaks tighten the lower bolts completely first and as the lads point out ball end allens tighten easily using long end and small spanner as a lever no leaks and carb sorted 👍

Reactions: Ryz
Back