Route planning, help needed

Steppenwulf

Non Member
Hi, I'm up your neck of the woods at the end of August heading to a wedding in Poolewe, Wester Ross.

Since it's a fair old drag I've booked accommodation in Birnam (A9, South of Pitlochry) on the way up and on the way home a night in Crianlarich. Do any of you have any advice or suggestions as to the route I should be looking to ride i.e. the best roads and views? Bare in mind I can't afford to dawdle over B-Roads as I have only 5 hours travelling time from Birnam to Poolewe, from Poolewe to Crianlarich I have longer but it will no doubt be done with a thick head!

What do you reckon?

Re: Route planning, help needed

I reckon Birnam to Poolewe will take around 4 hours,up the A9 to inverness across Kessock bridge heading towards Ullapool,then the road goes left for poolewe and right for Ullapool.if i remember correctly the last 50miles will be B roads.heading back to Crianlarich head for Fort William then down to Crianlarich A82 i think.this will take you 4 hours aswell.

Cheers Thomas, your approximate journey times are just what I needed. Do you have any idea how much longer the journey would take from Poolewe to Crianlarich if I went via Kyle of Lochalsh on the way to Fort William? I remember the A830 is quite spectacular ??

Yes it is from poolewe to dornie is a cracking road and across Ballahulish bridge.i think it would take best part of 5 hours if you were to go via Kyle of Lochalsh.im no expert mind these are the ways i would go. have ridden these roads a lot over the years though.remember and stop at green welly in Tyndrum on the way down a favourite bike stop.

Thanks Thomas, its good to have a couple of options and a recommended cafe stop to boot!

Hi, Just beware of fuel stops. They are few and far between up here. On the way up, Inverness has 24hr fuel but after that your last fuel before Poolewe is Contin and then its about 60miles to Poolewe if you take the Ullapool road. The A832 via Achnasheen has fuel at Kinlochewe if you take that route. Both Kinlochewe and Contin are not 24hr though. Good cafe in Kinlochewe a few hundred yards up the A896 torridon road.They are always happy to have bikers.

Thanks Zen, I'll be keeping a beady look out for the stops you mentioned as well as a wary eye on the fuel gauge! Luckily I'm travelling mid-week during the day but I am still considering chucking some spare fuel in the top box... :)

Hi, Just beware of fuel stops. They are few and far between up here. On the way up, Inverness has 24hr fuel but after that your last fuel before Poolewe is Contin and then its about 60miles to Poolewe if you take the Ullapool road. The A832 via Achnasheen has fuel at Kinlochewe if you take that route. Both Kinlochewe and Contin are not 24hr though. Good cafe in Kinlochewe a few hundred yards up the A896 torridon road.They are always happy to have bikers.

Back