SE Adjustable pushrods question ..

Fast Lane

Club Member
I've just set up the adjustables as the instructions state but I think I'm missing some understanding here .. I would have thought that once the pushrods are extended to the point where there is no vertical movement ie. on the base circle of the cam & the valve is closed, then that's when you tighten the locknut? According to the instructions, after this point is reached, you then have to turn another two and a half turns on the threaded rod thus extending the pushrod further? I did this & it looks like about another quarter inch longer. Surely the valve is now being held open on the base circle of the cam? I even took the rocker cover off & watched the valve moving as I extended the rod .. The lifters will be dry as they have been out of the motor for about three months .. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Re: SE Adjustable pushrods question ..

I would have said it was assuming you had pumped up lifters:confused:

I know what you mean though it does seem a little severe:eek:

Instructions are basicly correct, STC is also correct. The assumption is that the lifters have oil in them, however, they have a light spring, so they will still be fully extended even if dry.
I have a very well known tuneing book that suggests 4-4.5 turns to be correct.......I was unhappy with mine at 2.5 and went for 3 which seems about right and gives a quiet engine. Main point to remember is wait for the lifters to bleed off before turning the engine, as the valves will meet the pistons:confused: if you dont.

Do as the instructions tell you, all you are doing is setting up the hydraulic piston to operate correctly.
As the previous post states, wait for the `bleed down` or you will have a big problem.

what about red loctite on that big thingey so we can undo it in five years :D :D :D

Give the lifters a soak in a bath of engine oil for a bit before reinstalling. As per the manual.

*Don't* turn the engine over until you can rotate the installed pushrods by hand.

I pump them up with a small syringe at the feed holes then soak them in oil until ready to install.

Last edited:

I went back to check the pushrods today & sure enough, I could turn them by hand. Fired up straight away .. just got to get my carb tuned properly now .. Thanks guys ..

Back