Seat bolt thread size anyone?

semmyroundel

Club Member
You may have seen my thread asking about a security bolt for seats in UK.
Well no answers apart from Allen's which I think is a good one of using an allen bolt, I suggested filling it in with araldite, and just realised, I don't know what the thread is, does anyone?
There seems to be two points of data, first the inch thread size (1/4, 3/8 etc) and then another number which I don't know the meaning of.
Please help.

Re: Seat bolt thread size anyone?

1/4 UNC

been using a allen bolt with a peace of rubber tub about a 1/4 of an inch long over the threads, this acts to stop it coming loose its work for about 8yrs now.

I think depending what kind of Harley and what type seat you have will determine what options ?

Unlike John, I use a 10mm allen screw with plain and rubberized shakeproof washers together.
. if any body wants to steal yer seat they will I suppose but I wouldn't use adhesive to fill the allen cap coz then ya aint gettin it off either :smile:

Unlike John, I use a 10mm allen screw with plain and rubberized shakeproof washers together.
. if any body wants to steal yer seat they will I suppose but I wouldn't use adhesive to fill the allen cap coz then ya aint gettin it off either :smile:

Correction I use 6mm screw not 10mm :wink: too many beers t'nite:439:

Thanks Devon and weedavie, the purpose of having a small set of grips (pump pliers) is that I could still get the seat off by gripping the bolt and turning it, so I would be able to remove it if necessary, but it would be a job to do so in the firsdt place, which hopefully would deter anyone trying to get the throwover saddlebags off (as they go under the seat).
We're only taking a two man micro tent, so in the porch area ther'll be just enough room for the Kuryakin Ultra tour bag, boots and helmets, thus necessitating leaving the saddlebags on the bike (after removing their contents first)

Back