Security advice needed on new purchase

Re: Security advice needed on new purchase

To repeat great advice you have already gained....

Do not depend on alarm/immobiliser. Most bikes have wire(s) snipped and are lifted into vans by thieves dressed in mechanic's overalls.

Always chain your bike by the frame to a motorycle park rack/ cycle rack / post/meter/pole and preferably within sight. If it is chained to something by a hard-ass heavy-duty chain and Thatcham-rated padlock, you deter the opportunist in a big way.

Don't put it under a ''Harley-Davidson'' cover

Vary your route home *if* you think you are being followed - though that never happened to me in 11 years in London.

Melbourne is great for bike commuters. Uniquely, city laws PERMIT and ENCOURAGE motorcycle parking on the city footpaths here. Huge bonus. No help to you, though.

With regard to Almax chains, they do a huge battleship anchor chain, which is the one you need for home use. They come in various lengths, so get the longest. The chain links thread through each other so it doesn't matter if it's too long. Almax also do lighter chains that you can carry around with you. I have panniers to carry mine, but before that, I wore it around me neck with one arm through it, so's the padlock didn't hit the tank. Thet also do ground anchors of a special anti cut design. If you can borrow a drill & bit that drills concrete, you're laughing. As you've already been advised, it's better to fit the anchor to a concrete wall. This keeps the chain off the ground, thus making it harder to crop, as the thief cannot use the floor to help him. All the alarms in the world are useless unless you can hear them. Ask yourself if you'd be able to hear an alarm at 3.00am when you're snoring your head off? I doubt it. ALWAYS lock it up when you are at work, as you can't watch your bike ALL of the time, even you have to take a dump at some point!!! All this kit will cost you, but it will last you a lifetime, which is pretty damn good value at the end of the day.

I used to keep mine out front ( 2' wide piece of land ) and chained to an anchor in the wall. Never had it stolen but had covers stolen, had covers burnt with cigs and had the bike pulled over. This is in a supposedly sleepy seaide town. These incidents are just pissheads as I have pubs either end of my road. Never had a bike stolenI now keep it in the back garden out of sight but I had to widen the gate to get it in. Bit of work and expense but more piece of mind. Should be easier to manouver your 48 in and out than my Fatboy!

I thought all new Harleys came with Alarm/ Immobilizer and also Datataged which i believe is FOC as part of new bike scheme.

You can talk to your Insurers about the security System, not sure if it will be of any use as the Harley System is not Thatcham approved!
Best of luck with your new ride.

Back