Sounds familiar..?

Paul P.

H-DRCGB Archivist
Interesting map my eldest sent me, southern England map to help RAF Polish pilots with their english!

Polskie pilots map.jpg

Awesome. I used to live near Roczfed, near the Kraucz, in a very small village (not on the map).

I'm not sure about the Tonbridge Wells translation, though.

thats brilliant.
i'm of polish descent; my grandparents having been put to works camps in siberia from belarus by stalin prior to WWII.
on release from the camps when hitler kicked off. my grandfather spent most of his time in italy fighting nazis (Anders army).
my grandmother, with four kids and pregnant with my mother travelled east, thorugh the 'stans' eventually settling in a camp what was then rhodesia. eventually all settling in the uk midlands in one of the ex-raf refugee camps in '48 after the war. my mother was about 8 years old.
eventually moving out to their own house in '66 when i was born, my mother now an adult, married, already having two kids, my sisters.

my father had a similiar story; family exiled to siberia when he was just a boy, released, travel to camps in africa. he arrived in the uk about 14-15 years old. tool old for school and bit young for work. he went into the merchant navy, spending most if his time in that scotland. eventually getting with my mother and eventually away from seafaring and working locally.

i grew up speaking polish, though i'm not fluent, i can more than get by.
i totally see those town names and why they spelt them like they did.
tunbridge-wells is a good one
i.e. the 'L' with a line through is pronounced like a soft 'w' not an L.
An 'L' (ell) wont have the line through it.

Dammit jayzed! I was going to tell them about the L with a slash through it! - because my wife is from "woodg" (Lodz!)

(ps; watchman, I think one can lift pix from these pages, not sure how though..)
(you probably need a high def copy..?)

My great uncle Jo was a Polish fighter pilot, he married my grandmother sister Auntie Betty, she had been engaged to his pal another Polish fighter pilot who was killed.
Brave lads those Poles

Back