Speedo misting

E

ed

The speedo on my FXD Dyna (single, above headlight) mists every time the sun shines on it - pleased to see the sun back, but I'm fed up with not seeing the numberrs and trip clearly. The electrics (I understand that they are about 1.5V and designed by Stuart Little) in there cannot be enjoying the cool sauna each ride.

Can the glass be removed for cleaning and letting some air through? I've poked screwdrivers and things around the rubber seal but can find no way to prise it off - it would bugger it up for sure it seems to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Re: Speedo misting

This worked for me with the mechanical speedo on my Sporty.

Got an airing cupboard? If so, remove speedo, place in airing cupboard for a couple of days, should solve the problem. Alternatively, if you have some of those little sachets of silica which come with cameras, etc., put speedo in a dry place with sachets placed next to hole for speedo light. Again, leave for a couple of days to make absolutely sure all the moisture has gone.

My advice is life with it .
My last Dyna did he same misted up in a morning then dried out
during the day.
Had that bike for 11 years did not get any better or any worse.:rolleyes:

pete

I've thought of this, but never tried it. Take speedo off, turn so holes are on top where heat and moisture can escape, and carefully heat glass face with a hair dryer until fog is gone--not to hot, don't want to break the glass or fry the electrics. I've also heard of putting the speedo in a vacuumn bell and drawing out the moisture. Haven't tried this either. Let us know if you find the solution.

Regarding opening it up?
I had to once to repair a sporty speedo, but the glass is retained by a collar which is crimped all round, it is possible to uncrimp and get at it but it never looks right afterwards and I dont recommend you try it.

re the hair dryer? no, localised heating will just that.
to get the inside warm enough for the moisture to evapourate, really it will take days, go with advise to put it some where warm with the holes upper most as the moisture will evapourate and rise.

I've never cared enough myself, but I do know guys who recommend hairdryer on the glass face without getting things too hot. I reckon it may just make the stuff dry out on the face to then recondense somewhere else, but they seemed happy enough.

No adverse effects. One even managed to get his 98 Road King top out at 160 mph after this simple tweak.....

Only kidding!

It's also supposed to work for the fuel gauges.

Thing is they just go misty again in the winter and will eventual demist in the summer anyway. I reckon life's too short.....

Cheers

Mike

Is there no way to get some WD40 in there??
Disperse the moisture:confused:
Just a thought:cool:

Failin that what about electric oven at 50 degrees for an hour or so??
Not any hotter thou':D

Get some fresh silica gel (like the wee bags that come with cameras and so on, but has to be fresh) Put speedo in sealed, airtight poly bag with silica gel, and it will adsorb all the moisture. If you can't get hold of fresh silica gel, then you can use one of the drying (dehumidifying) cartridges you get from B&Q or Homebase. They're usually based on calcium sulphate (?) rather than silica gel, but should be equally effective.
Of course, this only dries it once, and if rain gets in there again soon, you'll be back to square 1, so, once it's dry, you need to seal it well enough to keep it dry.

Silica gel apparently available here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006JANU/203-4052944-8272706

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll try the silica jel in a bag approach, as the misting is too much to read the thing.

I may however take it off, heat the oven, and gently bake the speedo with croissants or pain chocolat for a while - getting ready for France on the bike again, you see.

I appreciate the comment on opening up the crimping, which has saved me from messing it up.

Off for anpother ride in the welsh border country now - it just gets better and better! If there is a Lord, he ade the roads of South Wales to ride his Harley on. (Watch for the young lambs, they are really dodgy at the moment and run out at the last minute).

Regards

Ed

Back