Sportster wheel compatability

ogri211

I have a 2004 sportster 1200C, which has the 21" spoked front wheel and the solid 16" back wheel which I have dechromed and had powder coated, I would like to put an alloy wheel on the front, and I know I am limited by width. I have been looking at a wheel from a 98 Dyna which has taper roller bearings, I would like to know if anyone has fitted one of these and what issues there was? Looking at it I was thinking the bearings would be OK as my spindle is also 3/4" so I would just need to make the correct spacers to centre the wheel, also I belive the disc rotor is different as the older one has a smaller diameter centre, but I think they are both 11 1/2" diameter, so I may need to make a spacer to line up the disc with the centre of the caliper, is the PCD of the bolts the same? as I could use my newer disc and make a spacer with the large spigot and the small bore to mount the new disc on the old wheels. Also Im thinking the larger tyre size should avoid having to modify the mudguard.

Hi mate just doing Nikkie’s at the mo the front will go straight in with just a change of bearings as there are no issues with the hub size and providing you dont cross the spindle spacers over there is no alignment issues with the disc we just got her new 01 bearings and a little cover plate for the other side plus all new disc bolts and thats it, i tried it dry before coating them and am picking the wheels up at the end of the week to pop tyres on the wheels came off a 98 sporty and all dyna and sporty cast wheels carried the same part number that year as for tyres the biggest i have put on a front conversion like this has been a 110/90/19 which fills the guard gap ok hope this helps (y)

Reactions: M&M
Hi mate just doing Nikkie’s at the mo the front will go straight in with just a change of bearings as there are no issues with the hub size and providing you dont cross the spindle spacers over there is no alignment issues with the disc we just got her new 01 bearings and a little cover plate for the other side plus all new disc bolts and thats it, i tried it dry before coating them and am picking the wheels up at the end of the week to pop tyres on the wheels came off a 98 sporty and all dyna and sporty cast wheels carried the same part number that year as for tyres the biggest i have put on a front conversion like this has been a 110/90/19 which fills the guard gap ok hope this helps (y)
Thanks.

Just an update I got the 1996 alloy and sat it on my spindle it fits ok apart from the disk spacing the alloy disk is about 5mm nearer the centre of the hub when I centre the disk I have a 14mm gap at one side and a 4 mm gap at the other side between the wheel rim and the fork leg so the wheel needs to move 5mm. The easy way would be just to fit a 5mm Packer between the calliper and fork leg, but I have decided to get a spare machined with the small spigot size on the bore and the large size on the shoulder so I can fit my later disk rotor on it . I will just make wheel spacers to suit.

I have managed to fit the wheel, with the disk spacer and using the newer disk, all appears to be good, the only one issue I have is I fitted a 19/90/110 tyre and it has left very little clearance, so I had to bend the bracket slightly for clearance, I would like to fit a fatter front mudguard as the original one looks a bit silly being skinier than the tyre. What would the options be ? as I have very little clearance between the tyre and forklegs, I was thinking of maybe a fender that fits onto a forkbrace or something like that.

image0 (6).jpeg

100/90 19 is the usual tyre size. I think the 110/90 19 is what is used on the Dyna.

I suspect to get a wider mudguard will require a change of yokes to mid glide spacing.

Look at an evo dyna front guard it gives the room around the tyre and allows for tyre growth

Back