Stage 2 exhaust recommendation.

Eric

Club Member
Putting in a s&s 465 after initially putting in a 475 cam which was way to loud and aggressive, 107 sport glide with 2into2 ,so now I’m looking for a passive 2into1 exhaust that doesn’t scare the children !!any recommendations?please don’t say bassani as I’ve just returned to my local Harley shop after grinding it out on the first roundabout!!🙄

I loved my Tab with Zombie baffles

Was just about to recommend using a decatted stock header and TAB slip on with the appropriate baffle to suit the OP’s noise level requirements. The stock Sport Glide header has decent length pipe work and the design isn’t particularly restrictive and would work well with a 465 cam. (Have personally used this exhaust set up on a Sport Glide and have had a 465 in a 107 M8)

The Bassani 2 into 1 comes in about three different versions that have different shaped headers, one version has notoriously bad ground clearance while the other versions give enough ground clearance to avoid the easy grounding out problem that the other version suffers with.

Last edited:
Mine was decatted headers with Tab slip ons and Zombie baffles I sold them last year as my RK came with new screaming Eagle pipes so ok for now

Rhinehart 4" slip-on on mine Eric, now with the stage 2 fitted and the stock headers de-catted its a fair bit louder than before but not to offensive

Last edited:
Watch >Blockheads Review< of all the pipes they fitted to a stage two, see if any appeal. The only issue I can see is you having to order the pipe from the USA as not many of the pipes are available in the UK save for a few. I think a couple have quieter baffle options.
My personal fav is the 2 bros shorty turnout that shall be fitting to my Street Bob quite soon ....hopefully :cool:

Rhinehart slip-on on mine Eric, now with the stage 2 fitted and the stock headers de-catted its a fair bit louder than before but not to offensive
just to add.....
i happened upon a youtube video showing someone adding packing to a Rhinehart slip on as they come with none! While cleaning up the garage yesterday found a bag with some brand new sheets of wadding in, so removed end cap and slid some in... let it run for a while and it may be i just got used to it but im sure it started getting quieter as the wadding filled up!

Last edited:
That's the worst system I've ever used - look at this for a hole in the torque curve. Possibly the combination of the cam and that pipe. I wouldn't know as I've never used another one ..

View attachment 1199949
All two into one systems dip there evidently, a slight loss in torque but at the low end and increased HP throughout the rev range. Just to back myself up >watch the youtube vid< from 12mins in when Sicwideglide explains it much better. (Note Blockheads bike is a 131 by the way and a good dyno tuner can smooth that dip out) Watched all their exhaust vids on 2 into 1 systems, they did a lot and all of them performed pretty much the same across the board.
For some technical reason beyond me, weak mixture bikes seem to run quicker than richer mixture bikes. My fatbob with V&H Big Radius lost a teeny amount of urgency when mapped it with the V&H Fuel Pack 3. Normally buy bikes already mapped with stage ones but alas this bike had a harley tune and was popping and banging enough to attract unwanted attention (the law), cured the issue at the expense of some small amount of power loss. They say harley tunes are bad and they are but V&H tunes aint much better. Dyno every time if you can afford it but not for stage one as its not worth it, gains are nothing worth considering. Ordered that 2 Bros Shorty turnout in raw pipe at the weekend going to try the Dynojet Power Vision on this one. Considering the Streetbob is detuned to around 7bhp expect to feel a minor change in power.

Last edited:
just to add.....
i happened upon a youtube video showing someone adding packing to a Cobra slip on as they come with none! While cleaning up the garage yesterday found a bag with some brand new sheets of wadding in, so removed end cap and slid some in... let it run for a while and it may be i just got used to it but im sure it started getting quieter as the wadding filled up!
I’m actually quite pleased with the v&h big bore 2-2 , had a map from v&h for cam timing seems to help !you know when your getting old Neil , your stuffing your pipe instead of ramming a screwdriver in it ! 😀

Back