Steve Jacobs' goldmine

Paul P.

H-DRCGB Archivist
The son of an old past club member (past editor) has now joined the club himself and has kindly allowed us to dip into his dad's old photo albums. I cannot give too much away here as we have special plans for this 70th anniversary year but I am itching to show you some - as usual I will go for the ones which are perhaps a little too blurred for enlarging but I know will be enjoyed here.
First a perenial shot of typical rally behaviour, from the 1959 Elstree Gymkhana (as our first rallies were called)

Elstree Gymk 59.jpg

Re: Steve Jacobs' goldmine

Forgot to say that the last shot (as some of you must have guessed) was hand coloured (hand colored if Skip is reading...), the next is for the London region as it is a ride out from London Bridge to the 1959 London Rally - a better turn out than today!!

Lond Brdge 59, to Lond rally.jpg

We in Region 7 have been privileged to see the album and it's absolutely fantastic.

The son of an old past club member (past editor) has now joined the club himself and has kindly allowed us to dip into his dad's old photo albums. I cannot give too much away here as we have special plans for this 70th anniversary year but I am itching to show you some - as usual I will go for the ones which are perhaps a little too blurred for enlarging but I know will be enjoyed here.
First a perenial shot of typical rally behaviour, from the 1959 Elstree Gymkhana (as our first rallies were called)

View attachment 32089

Not sure I'd be too happy with two members of the Village People on the back!

As Steve has shared these with us I thought those of you who don't know him would like to see him so you can say thanks when you meet him at a rally. (1958 ST165)

SJ + 58ST165.jpg

Yeah, we told him what smoking would do but did he listen....

Yes. Stevee gave me the guided tour of his Dad's photo album a few R7 meets ago and I found the album and the potted history of his Father's life fascinating.
Tony

Was going to keep this one for the 'Quin but as it is the only photo I've ever seen of the infamous "funny bikes" that Fred Warr assembled (off centre wheels, crooked bars) to be towed around a course I thought I'd spread it around. (if they had any idea how much those two frames and forks would fetch today...!!)
The other is the usual mucking around that was still happening in my time but now has died out (Health & Safety regs to blame?)

rally funnybikes.jpgrally larks.jpg

Continuing in the same theme, this is Fred Warr on what he tells me is one of the first Sportsters in Britain, also he says the middle of the barrel was greased just to make it even more interesting!
FHW on 57XL.jpg

The other is the usual mucking around that was still happening in my time but now has died out (Health & Safety regs to blame?)

No. Member apathy is to blame. At Walesby in 2009 we put some games on and nobody was bothered. The late "Boss" tried to drum up interest at several rallies I attended, with little success. It's a shame that this sort of stuff has died out on our rally scene but at events like the Trip Out and at other non-HDRCGB rallies, silly games are still going strong.

No. Member apathy is to blame.
I'm with Kev on this. I can confirm that silly games are still going strong elsewhere. For the past few years, I've witnessed the games held on Saturday afternoon at the H-D North Sea rally near Dunkirk. There is still an appetite for watching lads and lasses make a fool of themselves in sack races etc. :glee:

Have to add this one because it compliments previous shots AND I have never seen an outfit doing the barrel roll! (I think that is Steve's dad Ernie?) Also an unknown group shot that wouldn't enlarge enough for the 'Quin, 17 bikes looking like maybe mid-60s?
1961 gymkhana 2.jpgunknown - sixties.jpg

Was going to keep this one for the 'Quin but as it is the only photo I've ever seen of the infamous "funny bikes" that Fred Warr assembled (off centre wheels, crooked bars) to be towed around a course I thought I'd spread it around. (if they had any idea how much those two frames and forks would fetch today...!!)

View attachment 32100View attachment 32101

Looks like an Aero jacket on the centre rider, but it's not - because they didn't start until the 70's. Could be a Buco or a Schott, maybe horsehide. Either way, that's a pucker old jacket.

Another shot that probably looks better here than in the 'Quin. There is too much dark area to enlarge for the mag and we don't have a name for the owner. I am curious as to what the left hand lever goes to, maybe a very long cable to a sidecar brake perhaps?

unknown outfit.jpg

Just had to share this one with you, if only to prove that Paul Sample's "Ogri" cartoons were not that exaggerated! No details on this babe, maybe it should really be in the custom page? (hey Vince, could you have it at your Assembly Bike Show...?)

organ pipe forty-five.jpg

Back