Trackers

karl

Hi there, has anyone fitted a tracker to their bike. I've been looking and it seems there's two types on the market. One you have fitted and pay a yearly subscription for and another that you can fit yourself and is linked to your mobile phone. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of either type. Are they worth having?

Re: Trackers

I used to work for a company who fitted these.
Like you said they come in various types.
Those that are monitored at all times and others that are only pinged once they are triggered.
A lot of the Jap import cars used to have to have them fitted.
The main problem found with them was that if a car was put in a container the tracking stopped.
Although the RAC used to ping any missing cars on a daily basis and one car was located after 2 years of being hidden away.
I guess a lot of it depends on you wanting your bike back after some littler scrote has had his way with it?
The one connected to your phones are great in principle, but if you are 1/2 a mile away and you get notification that your bike is being nicked, how quick could you get there and what state would you be when you got there.
Me, I doubt I would be able to put up much of a fight after running 800 yards lol
so now they will have my keys as well lol

I think if someone wants my bike that much they can have it.
I have insurance and can get another one, although I realise there are some bikes around here that can't be replaced

I have a tracker fitted which is on permanently and I can get status via mobile app or via the web via laptop/PC/iPad etc.

Bought it from TracLogik and benefits are:

• It has a very sensitive movement detector so will send you an alarm to tell you the bike has moved.
  • You can set the tracking times to every second and upwards.
  • I set it to alarm mine and Libby's phone for added safety if moved
  • When I am travelling without Libby, she can log in and follow my progress (it can be turned off) which has been useful in the past
  • If the bike is stolen you can follow it real-time and also go into Street View
  • Battery lasts for 300 - 400hrs if power is cut
  • You can review your route history which again is useful if you ever wanted to go back to that road you found by mistake and would never remember where it was
  • If you get lost in a city after parking the bike, you can find your way back to your bike

A scenario I had was 2 yrs ago when my bearings went in Spain, we ended back in the UK and I could monitor the movements of the bike and watch is coming back to the UK. When the RAC updated me as to where the bike was in transit I was able to cut through the BS and advise them where the bike was and get it returned quicker.

There is a monthly cost as it is SIM card related, but for peace of mind it's been worth every penny.

Incidentally, if you call Traclogik and you are a HDRCGB member, the owner Simon has stated he would offer some discount to club members.

Personally I would rather get the bike back/prevent it being stolen than have some person on the phone offering me half of what it was worth by some faceless insurance rep who gets a bonus cheque if he screws you on value, especially if the panniers are full of personal stuff when Johnny thief decides your bike is the one.

Thanks guys, if I didn't want the bike back after someone had had hold of it I wouldn't be looking at a tracker, I'd like to take as much care as I can to make sure it doesn't go in the first place but if it does I damn well want to find out where it is and whose got it.

I'll talk to TracLogic and see what they can offer.

I tried a phone based one but experienced problems with a lack of phone signal, so they're not 100%.I had previously had a "Tracker" system that worked perfectly and after the fiasco with the phone one, I've reverted to "Tracker" again and have again so far found it to be perfect.

I tried a phone based one but experienced problems with a lack of phone signal, so they're not 100%.I had previously had a "Tracker" system that worked perfectly and after the fiasco with the phone one, I've reverted to "Tracker" again and have again so far found it to be perfect.

Just had a look at the 'Tracker' web site and it states the coverage is only good for UK, France, Spain, Poland Italy, Holland and Luxembourg so if you are touring through other countries it appears you will not be covered. Worth considering before parting with hard earned folding.

A GPS type tracker would be global.

Just had a look at the 'Tracker' web site and it states the coverage is only good for UK, France, Spain, Poland Italy, Holland and Luxembourg so if you are touring through other countries it appears you will not be covered. Worth considering before parting with hard earned folding.A GPS type tracker would be global.
Thanks for that, I wasn't planning to travel anywhere outside of those countries when I had it installed but I am later this year, so better investigate a back-up system - cheers again :)

Well I brought a phone based GPS tracker from Ebay for ?8.00, managed to set it up and it seems to work okay (so far). Only real problem is there aren't many places to hide it on a Harley.

Back