Transferrable 1000 mile service??

B

Bobby K

Hi, I'm a newby! just about to do a deal on my first Harley - an 883C.

The bike I'm looking at has only covered 700 miles on a 53 plate. I've gathered that the first 1000 mile service is free (or at least paid for in the initial price). However, I noticed a sportster on ebay that stated the FREE first 1000 mile service is only applicable to the first owner?? - if the bike changes hands the new owner will have to pay around 300 quid for this service??? does anyone know is this correct?? thanx. Bobby.

Re: Transferrable 1000 mile service??

you would need to talk to the dealer that originally sold it. (try getting the seller involved in this )They may still honour it that is assuming they are still trading as there have been some changes in the dealer network lately.

.................the first service is basically an inspection and oil change which for ?300.00 introduces you well to the pleasures of Harley ownership.:eek: :D Get a manual some oil and a filter ;) ...
Ring your local Harley dealer and put the question to them.

Can't go wrong then mate.

Any more spec on the bike that you are after we could advise you?

I've got the present owner to contact the original supplying dealer in Newcastle - basically it has to go back to the original dealer for the freebie service.

Have also spoken to Eddys who said ?150 for the 1000 mile service since it wasn't bought from them! :mad:

It'd be nice to get a harley stamp in the book for the first service but seems a lot for an oil / filter change:( i'd better get the beans out again.

thanks for your 'elp

?150 ?
a very expensive oil and filter:rolleyes:

Not if you take in to account the ?90.00 / Hr labour charge + disposal of oil and filter charge.:D:D:D:D
Alan B

Bobby K said:
I've got the present owner to contact the original supplying dealer in Newcastle - basically it has to go back to the original dealer for the freebie service.
For my sins I worked at a dealership doing parts and service!
None of them like doing the 'free' service if it was bought from another dealership! I used to get in touch with the originating dealer to see if they would pay us - after all the 'free' 1st service was paid for within the original purchase price of the bike - once authorised then the customer doesn't pay - duh! simple!! It's just feckin' dealerships being greedy and non-cooperative!!:mad:
Hardly the way to get you on their side is it?!
Alternatively, call H-D UK in Oxford and give them shit. They will pass this on to the dealership if you're lucky!! ;)

Hi Thanks for the info - I've bought the bike now - this morning infact :D
so I guess I'll have to pay for the @free@ service now anyway - the seller was a decent chap and knocked off another 75 squid towards the 1000 mile service which isn't due for another 300 hundred miles.

Anyway - I'm chuffed to bits with the bike - a black 883 custom - (with a nice rubber mounted engine) and the @screamins@ are fab:)

The 20 mile ride back to my house was great - although a little cautious since its my first ride on a bike for 15 years :eek: but its all coming back to me :)

I had a similar problem when I bought my bike. I bought it from Edinburgh but live in the West Mids. When it was due it's 1000 mile service I found this had to be done at the dealership from where it was purchased!!! Or, at least a dealership owned by the same group ie Birmingham, Chapel Ash and Stadium are owned by the same company.

Birmingham HD wanted over ?300 for the service. They charge ?80 an hour labour!!

Eventually after negotiation with Edinburgh HD I had it serviced at an Independant, All American (excellent place and Harley trained) for ?140 and invoiced Edinburgh for this amount.

Edinburgh would only pay what they would have charged which was ?150. There labour charges were nearly half that of Birmingham!

Best O' luck. As has already been said, it is possible to get it serviced but they don't like to make it easy! Keep nagging and complaining!

just do it your self and keep the reciepts. the stamp in the book isnt as important as you'd think. as long as you can show reciepts to prove its had the servicing done then its as good as a dealer stamp.
just been told this by a guy from a hd dealer in the midlands.
thats ?75 should more than pay for all the bits you need, and have enough left over for a good night on the town!
dan

Back