Vintage and Sportster 2023

Thanks once again to Barrie Reid for making the effort to continue the V&S Rally.
Although numbers were down due to the inclement weather, I met up with a some old friends made over the years and also made some new, and found out the names of others!
Good to see the regulars including Devon John, Ron with his Sporty and Fuz to name but 3. Also The French Owl, AKA Patrick Delli, rolled up with his latest acquisition, a KHTT. A joy to behold!
Also thanks to Barrie for the advice when I had starting trouble this morning, again, and I have now put a starting handle on the end of the Evo solenoid! Plugs tomorrow.

love that area ,,, we made the most of it despite the weather ,,
a big thanks goes out to Steve Cox for bringing the big gazebo,, without it we would have had to abandon the camp site for shelter ,,

it was like united nations at one stage ,,, Polish ,,French , Scottish ,Welsh , Nepalese, and English
i ended up feeding 14 thanks to Kev and Steve helping

but a real big thankyou to dear BARRIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Barrie, a excellent weekend despite Saturdays rain and good to meet up with old faces and some new. Baskerville Hall is a interesting building and I had a long and interesting chat with the owner about the hall. All the staff I meet were helpful and friendly and they even had Butty Bach at the bar, almost worth the 276 miles on its own.

Chris, did Matt get his Sportster home under its own steam?

Apart from the first 6-7 miles I had a dry run home and was lucky with a traffic free run through the Forest of Dean on the A 4136 which is a wonderful stretch of road and a real pleasure to ride.

The only hiccup on the run home came after Gloucester going up the steep hill to the Air Balloon roundabout near Birdlip where a broken down horse box turned a busy two lanes into one. With no space to filter and traffic creeping slower than my Ironhead can go with the clutch fully home it was in, out, in, out with the clutch like a mad in and out thing up the steepest part of the hill. Fortunately both the clutch and my wrist held out and the rest of the trip was just grinding out the miles.

The heavy seventies Sportster clutch used to kill me on MAG helmet protest runs, the engine cooking my legs and neutral getting harder to find!

I've modded mine by leaving out one of the two big springs and a bit of jiggery pokery, I couldn't have survived that hill otherwise.

Home now, what a great weekend with great folks, thank you all for your comradeship --
Really appreciated it.
Good job DJ had a small fire pit going on Saturday, one practical fella ---

Last edited:
My son lives in Brockworth at the base of Crickley Hill. That junction at the Air Ballon is a nightmare when its busy.

Back