Voltage regulator

McQ

Hey.
Can anybody shed some light on replacement voltage regulators? What is the difference in a 74519-88 & a 74516-86 or 74513-82 they all look exactly the same to me apart from the 88 takes more amps as opposed to the other two that take 22 amp which are harder to find, would I be right in saying, I could use the more powerful one on my 1985 bike? As surely the lesser amps would put less strain on the circuitry? I'm asking as I have a spare one that I want to try to replace my suspect one? All wiring appears identical..

Halal Tim
Thanks but what I'm talking about is the fact I have a spare regulator 32a and was wondering if I use it to replace the 22a one that is suspected faulty, Thinking that 32a is the max capacity the regulator takes, So if it's on a lower amp charging system should mean it doesn't have so much amp to take surely. I think the only reason they upped the voltage is because the battery size changed in order to cope with the bigger engines... Mine is a 1340 Evo by the way.. I am not thinking of changing to the bigger charging system just swap over, Instead of having to buy anything...

It will be fine to go that way, the problem would arise if you went lower and expected the lower rated regulator to handle the increased charging rate.

Back