weaving/wobble

S

scoll

just devoloped a problem on my 95 softail classic with original wire wheels

at any speed above 65 mph on releasing the throttle the bike slightly weaves/wobbles until it drops to about 50 mph

have just checked the rear spokes and about 60% of them were slightly loose!! have retorqued them, not sure if the wobble has been rectified or not due to it p***ing down with rain

so my question is, if this has cured the fault have i put the wheel out of true? is this a common occurence on this type of wheel?

cheers in anticipation

scoll

Re: weaving/wobble

Hiya Scoll,

Only way to check the wheel is out of true is to stick it on a jig. Spokes should be torqued up in sequence. And then the wheel needs to be balanced...but are you sure this is the source of the problem?

Let us know how you get on when the rain stops...;)

L x

scoll said:
just devoloped a problem on my 95 softail classic with original wire wheels

at any speed above 65 mph on releasing the throttle the bike slightly weaves/wobbles until it drops to about 50 mph

have just checked the rear spokes and about 60% of them were slightly loose!! have retorqued them, not sure if the wobble has been rectified or not due to it p***ing down with rain

so my question is, if this has cured the fault have i put the wheel out of true? is this a common occurence on this type of wheel?

cheers in anticipation

scoll

As Lyn has said .... it's not just a case of tightening the spokes. The wheel must be trued ... and that is a black art practiced by strange old men in brown coats. Wheel needs checking for ovaling, runout and spoke tension, then balanced.

Phil....:cool:

As Lyn has said .... it's not just a case of tightening the spokes. The wheel must be trued ... and that is a black art practiced by strange old men in brown coats. Wheel needs checking for ovaling, runout and spoke tension, then balanced.

Hey, I true wheels, & I resent the `OLD`:eek:

ok thanks for the quick responses

is this a common occurence on spoked wheels, and is it worth biting the bullet and just buying a non-spoked variety

ta

scoll said:

is this a common occurence on spoked wheels, and is it worth biting the bullet and just buying a non-spoked variety

ta

If what your after is low maintenance then yes, but it should cost very little to have yer wheels trued up, or bite the bullet and have them relaced in stainless:rolleyes:

scoll said:

ta

I've got a solid rear wheel waiting to be fitted myself scoll . Really down to choice.

Phil....:cool:

Why not get a scissor jack and lift the bike clear, then get someone to assist you by spinning your wheel while you hold a pointed object (a pencil for instance) against the rim.
A tip for this would be to hold the object in your hands whilst steadying it by resting against the fork leg or other solid fixed part of the bike. With a little practice you will be amazed at how accurate you can get with a simple method like this.
If there is any more than about 3mm total runout around the rim then this could be affecting the balance/wobble
This will at least give an indication whether there is any run out and you can determine if this is in fact contributing to the problem.:cool:

Scoll dude!

If you need any help just shout.

I've got a Dial Guage and still have the Terminators bike lift, if it is your wheel we should be able to sort it quickly.

Tightening the spokes should be part of every regular maintenance, if you don`t do it they`ll come loose.

cheers guys

just had a quick blast down the road and it appears to of rectified with tweeking the spokes.
will put a dti on the wheel at a later date to see what that shows up

where can i get a spoke spanner from(or what size spanner is it)

S.T. it's already got stainless in there thanks to the previous owner

thanks again boys and girls

Back