What size spark plug spanner please

While we are talking spark plugs are these normal condition good/bad.
Fitted 1000 miles back

Rear cylinder
IMG_7859.jpegIMG_7858.jpeg

Front cylinder
IMG_7853.jpegIMG_7855.jpeg

Oil Dag, now there's a thing from the past. The Post Office aka British Telecom used to use it on the old strowger switches. It was terrible stuff really.

When I joined as an apprentice they had just started a regime to clean every mechanical device of the stuff and switched to a cleaner oil.
That's the stuff, also excellent lubricant on dried out speedo & tacho cables too, my bottle is still half full and will probably outlast me!
(Ps that's not my bottle, the label fell off years ago, it was one on e-bay half full for £10!)

Screenshot 2023-08-19 154009.jpg

You can still buy a version of OilDag but it certainly is not cheap about £85 for 1kg tin!

Oil Dag, now there's a thing from the past. The Post Office aka British Telecom used to use it on the old strowger switches. It was terrible stuff really.

When I joined as an apprentice they had just started a regime to clean every mechanical device of the stuff and switched to a cleaner oil.
I remember that stuff too when I was in the P.O. as an engineer. Worked a treat but filthy stuff really. Very expensive to buy now.

Spark plugs are simple. Tighten by hand and then a 1/8 - 1/4 turn. If the threads in the head are bad due to cross threading, over tightening etc and you cannot tighten by hand, get the threads re-cut before it's too late. I've never used a torque wrench on plugs and I've changed countless thousands.

@Martz Thank you. Will try this appreciate your advice. Can I ask you if these plugs are good colour don’t really know much on that side of things maybe one is a little more sooted up
Thank you

IMG_7859.jpeg

IMG_7853.jpeg

Did you take them out after a run? The best way I've found is to get the bike good and hot, 20 miles or so, get up to a decent cruising speed say 60 or there abouts. Hit the kill switch, coast in and do a plug chop. Looking at those plugs it looks a little on the rich side, like it's been idling or going slow around town, not massively so but you need a more or less uniform colour on both plugs. Rear cylinder usually runs a little hotter so expect that to be slightly lighter if everything is set up right. (y)

Back