Wheel bearings

W

woody's dyna

Just noticed grease coming out of the front bearings on my fxdx. Is it time to re-grease the bearings, are they repackable? or does it mean the bearings are knackered. Has anybody experienced this?

Re: Wheel bearings

Year is 2003 with standard mag wheels

Thes are sealed no maintenance bearings, however sometimes when the grease gets hot & thin it will seep out of the seal.
If it is a slight seep I would not worry about it. If it continues & is heavy you may have to have them replaced, they are not cheap & the job requires special tools. If you have an extended warranty it should be covered.

Can you pop the seals out of these bearings Phil,on some bearings this is possible without damaging them,you can then re-pack them.?

Why's that then HH,its well known that a lot of sealed bearings have none or very little grease in them,so the seal is popped and grease applied,and maybe some have to much grease in them and thats why they leak.

I was just a wondering if this type of bearing could have its seal removed without doing it damage so that "Chilly, Skip Rat, Skin Flint, ole Brit Biker" could save a few quid,i just love a cheap do it yourself fix, and that doesn't neccessary mean its a bodge :D ;)

Chill

Never happened to me, but have you ever had a wheel bearing seize while riding?
To tell the truth I've never had one of the newer sealed bearings out, no need to. They're good for 100K.
If you went to the trouble to try and re-pack just pull it and replace, I'm sure some tools could be fabbed to do the job.

Never had a wheel bearing seize H,but iv'e had a bit of cramp in me right leg :rolleyes: ;)

Chill

Dermot, as they are a tight press fit & you pull them out from the middle I would be a little concerned about the side load put on them during extraction. Probably not a problem but ???
The usual cause of leaking is too much grease expanding, thinning then seeping out so I doubt re-packing would fix it.
Never heard of one seizing while riding, but I`ve seen a few of the old style that have collapsed while riding. Either from lack of maintenance or usually being too tight (no end-play). That is usually DIY error.
Apparently it is a nerve racking experience to say the least.

Never heard of one actually seizing myself, just what a few old timers have said and advise i.e. just go with new, risk isn't worth the saving.

thanks 4 your comments,Its a bit worring considering that the bikes only done 8,000 miles. The grease leakage is getting worse. i think i'll have to get front wheel out and have a look, keep you posted

As the bike is an '03, is it in extended or how long is it out of warranty? Did you buy it from a dealer? It may be worth it going to the dealer & talking to them nicely to see if they would have a look, just to see what they can come up with.

the 03 bearings are as far as Im aware sealed and the the seal isnt a seperate item, having worked with bearings most of life I've never seen a sealed bearing with a replacable seal.
I'seen additional seals fitted and they were replacable.
trouble it is easy to mix up in your mind the timken tapered bear that was fitted as standard with a replacable grease seal.

Recently had the dealer take the sealed bearings out of a 2000 fatboy rear wheel that I bought on ebay to have polished and plated. It takes a special "collet" tool to remove them, but you can make a tool similar to the one used for head bearings to install them. I did. The rotor side bearing goes in first, name facing out. The sealed bearings run with zero to .001"/.0015" end play. The spacer is critical. I didn't believe it was correct until the dealer confirmed it. They're $100 American per pair--INA bearings. Couldn't find them at a bearing house; so Harley's the only game in town. There's a double "rubber" seal on each side that is easily removed and replaced. The bearings are caged. You could repack them with no trouble, assuming you had the correct grease. Whether you should I wouldn't say. I wouldn't do it for love nor money.

I wouldn't re-use them once they're pulled out either, whether pulling them damages them or not. That doesn't mean I'm right; that's just how much I value my hide.

Back