Winter bike protection

O

Oilslick

Sorry if this has been covered a hundred times but a search didn't get what I needed.

I will be riding through the winter so need to protect the bike. I don't care what it looks like until Spring time when I can clean it off.

Last year I used S100 protector on everything except discs, of course, and the engine.

Now, what I'm asking is, can the engine and gearbox be treated considering the heat?

Any other tips appreciated. I've heard peaple use Vaseline or chainsaw oil on the rims for instance. Are gaiters available for 49mm forks?

Re: Winter bike protection

Thanks Roger, some good stuff there but I will be riding rather than storing but I suppose the same rules apply.

i used acf50 last year and rode my bike through all the weather and it stood up pretty well. i'll be doing the same this year too.
dan

Cheers Danpie.

Can you treat the engine, gearbox and exhaust with ACF50?

Loads of road salt and crud gets thrown up by the front wheel onto the front cylinder.

Perhaps I should try and find some way to attach a mud flap.

I RIDE EVERY WINTER AND FIND wd 40 OK, HEAVY DIRT I WASH OFF WITH HOSE PIPE, THE WD AGAIN, FRONT OF ENGINE IS WORST KEEP EYE ON IT OR WASH OFF SOON AS DIRTY.

you can use acf50 on all parts, it will burn off the pipes though.
dan

Thanks guys.

I'll probably do the bike this evening.

Last year I treated my leather jacket with S100 protector. Seemed to work pretty good. Might not be recommended but can't see any detrimental effects yet.

you could allways try this

http://www.scottoiler.com/FS365-Protector.asp

gallery1.jpg

before

gallery5.jpg

after

I hope my bike survives that well!

Mines all prepared now, covered in a waxy, gooey film and fitted with home made mud flaps. Yeah, ready for the worst weather that can be thrown at it.

Brrrrr! Looks a bit wet and cold out tonight though. Now, what's on the telly?

Back