103 Twin Cam, Andrews 57h, Headwork - Powervision Basic Autotune

adm

OK - so there's a bit of a story here so bear with me.

First, I changed the cams on my 2014 103" FXDF during the 2015/2016 winter to Andrews 57h. The bike already had a PowerVision tuner, D&D BobCat exhaust and a DK Customs high flow air cleaner.

I had previously had the bike Dyno tuned by HM racing in Kent back in 2014 with just the Stage 1. The end result was a respectable 79.4 HP and 98.89 TQ. This was about 5HP higher than when I took to them and it had only been "basic" (narrowband) autotuned prior to that. They found an extra 5HP with a new map.

While I was changing the cams, I sent the heads off to Alex at FastLane for head work. As part of that, he did some gas flow measurements on both the heads and the stock throttle body. The result was that the heads can flow more air than the stock throttle body can actually provide - so we have a restriction right there.

I rode the bike all of last year and did a few hours of autotuning. The bike runs really nicely and pulls great. The plan was to get a bigger throttle body at some point and then Dyno the bike again. I still haven't got a new throttle body yet, but I booked the bike in to be tuned again anyway.

So I took it in this morning. When I got there, they said "Sorry, but there's been a mistake. We don't tune PowerVision any more. We don't see enough of them to be confident we can get the best results and feel it's unfair for us to learn on your nickel." Which was annoying but honest. But they still wanted to put the bike on the Dyno for me anyway free of charge and just run it up to see the results.

So here's what we got:

Epson_04052017133351 copy 2.jpg

This chart shows the 2014 result which they had on file, compared with today. So output today was 96.29 HP and 103.84 TQ and with pretty consistent fueling considering this was just Powervision basic autotune. A gain of almost 17 HP and 5 TQ. Ignore that it says Fat Bob on one trace and Fat Boy on the other - it's a Fat Bob. Torque is over 100 from 3K to 5K RPM - and the bike really pulls hard there for sure and is a blast to ride.

Epson_04052017133639 copy.jpg
This chart shows through the gears and hits 99.52 HP. So close to 100HP but not quite a cigar....

I'd like to get over the magic 100/100 line with this bike - and it seems that with a proper professional tune it would get there. Also if I got the bigger throttle body that could flow as much air as the heads can consume it would jump over the line. With both it would probably be easily over.

Steve at HM said the PowerVision had done a great job on it's own on the fueling, but also that there were a few more horsepower to be had at the top end by dialing back the fuel by a couple of percent to get it to 12.8:1 AFR - you can see on the top chart where the AFR drops down to about 12:1 from 4750ish RPM.

There's also a plateau in the torque curve and a corresponding dip in the AFR curve from about 2.25 to 2.8K RPM - I can't help wondering if leaning that out a little would eliminate that?

Anyway. I got a free dyno run, but didn't get a tune. And I still plan to get a bigger throttle body in the future. I fancy the 51mm HPI unit but they are bloody expensive and my Shovel is currently eating money happily.

Now I need to find a Dynojet place in the South East who WILL tune with Powervision!

Re: 103 Twin Cam, Andrews 57h, Headwork - Powervision Basic Autotune

Thanks Steve,

Wokingham is plenty close enough for me! I'll give them a call to check they can tune with the Powervision and then once I get a new throttle body will take the bike over to them...

Dynotech in Tadley are great guys and power vision is no problem

The narrow band capabilities are really quite limited and won't be keeping up with higher RPM fuel demands with your heads. Do you have 18mm or 12mm O2 ports in your exhaust system? For Power Vision custom tunes I now go direct to Dynojet UK. They're a long way from you though - Barnacre up in sunny Lancashire. However the trip would be well worth it. There's nobody in the UK more experienced with the Power Vision than Richard or Frank at Dynojet. They recently tuned a Dyna for me with my heads and got 127 TQ out of it. Third gear was insane on that bike ...

Cheers Alex,

12mm ports unfortunately. I thought about having 18mm bungs welded in and getting the PowerVision Target Tune module, but haven't got round to it yet. Maybe over the coming winter as I need to get the heat shields for the pipes recoated at some point. I guess doing that and getting the bigger throttle body would make a good winter project. Of course, then why not do a set of the drop in 110 barrels at the same time!

Hopefully the Shovel will be finished up this summer, so the twin cam can get some winter loving.

As for going to see DynoJet direct - I'm not averse to a ride to Lancashire. I have family in Wigan so can kill two birds with one stone...

Great post and many thanks - lot of good info in there. Alex took mine to 103", Andrews cams and his magic head work but we decided to stick with the throttle bodies from original 88". But our target was torque not high rev HP. Yours seems to be achieving both. I will be travelling up to that Dyno after the summer with a new set of pipes for a PV tune to improve what they got got with the setup after the build. Good luck with the 100/100

WTF was that all about, it's sounds very interesting, but will it make my fatbob carrying fatbob go like shit off the shovel

Back