1340 Evo Big Twin - Exzotic Pan head covers - biblical Oil leak from Head Breathers

Mopar Pete

Club Member
Well, I know I will take a pasting for this, but I fitted the Exzotoc / Vulcanworks Pan head tins to my 1340 Evo.
I can already hear the gnashing of teeth and fists pounding on the desk...

Remember- it IS a Chop, so more show than go!!

The first 100 miles went well.

Now it has started pissing oil out of the Head breathers - these go straight to atmosphere, not into the Air Filter. It is literally un-ridable with the level of oil loss, with the whole bike coated within 5 miles.

I took the front Rocker cover off and the installation was correct with the Umbrella seal in place, and the pad; so not sure where to look next.
There was not an excessive amount of Oil in the rocker Box case either.

I have not been able to find a good schematic of the breather system, despite having manuals, etc.

Does anyone have experience of installing these or can shed some light on the Breather design as I am not making any headway on this at the moment.

If I have misinterpreted how the Breather system work, then please put me straight!!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Pete

20230313_170729.jpg

Very nice love the bike ,right first the head breathers breath out through the u tube which has a hose connected to it and it runs down behind the primary and from the pic it looks all connected properly have you changed the cam ? And if so did you realign the pinion breather and cam timing marks correctly and if it’s the original harley plastic breather remember to reinstall the plastic shim on it ? As this will allow the breather to twat about changing the breather timing and pressurising the system forcing the oil up also are those rocker boxes sided ? So when bolted down pin the umbrella valve upsetting the venting ie front and rear , i would suspect the breather gear given the lumps age and the plastic ones habit of breaking up other wise it means cam cover off i know but better to check (y)

Very nice love the bike ,right first the head breathers breath out through the u tube which has a hose connected to it and it runs down behind the primary and from the pic it looks all connected properly have you changed the cam ? And if so did you realign the pinion breather and cam timing marks correctly and if it’s the original harley plastic breather remember to reinstall the plastic shim on it ? As this will allow the breather to twat about changing the breather timing and pressurising the system forcing the oil up also are those rocker boxes sided ? So when bolted down pin the umbrella valve upsetting the venting ie front and rear , i would suspect the breather gear given the lumps age and the plastic ones habit of breaking up other wise it means cam cover off i know but better to check (y)
Thanks, "Watchman" = I did not change the cam and never removed the cam cover. The bike worked fine before the conversion but that does not mean that there is not a problem with the Breather assembly in the Cone / Cover.... more investigation needed methinks....

I have asked Vulcanworks if the Rocker Boxes are handed - I did dummy up before final assembly and they will physically fit on either head, but that does not necessarily mean that it will function correctly in operation....

If you are going back in the top ends, where I suspect your problem lies, it's worth checking the drains. If too much oil is collecting and not draining from the top it's going to end up out of the breather. HTH

Yes, I think that is the next step in the absence of any feedback from "Vulcanworks".

I was surprised when I took the Tin Rocker Box off that there was not more oil in the top end, as the PCV element is raised in the centre and should be resistant to flooding.

I think I will need to strip the installation to better understand how the breather system and drainback works compared to the standard set up.

Thanks for your continued help.

how high do keep your oil level, with a custom oil tank getting the the right level can take time (miles) my latest tank needed breather holes bored in the cap to stop oil pressure building up

Reactions: M&M
Big Al from Sheppy has been running theses covers on his evo fir years he will probably know whats wrong, if you dont know him dont worry hes a top lad ,hes old school and very approachable

Back