1943 WLA - Is it a bargain?

Re: 1943 WLA - Is it a bargain?

I like it but I dont know if its a bargain or not, someone with more expertise than me will be along soon im sure, but my input, frame looks as it should but wrong wheels, wrong brakes, rear guard etc. if you love it the way it is, great, but if you wanted to put it back as it should be it would cost a couple of grand!

It looks like a nice bike that I'd be happy to own but they do seem to me to be asking for a Concours price? Of course todays steep price is tomorrows bargain price...

I think the cost of putting it back as it should be would be nearer ?5k, but it looks ok as it is. Not my style, but if you like it go for it.

I'd agree with Neil; Paul and Ray also make very valid points. It's very well presented, lot of nice stuff on it, a pretty bike indeed; but it's certainly not a bargain. In fact it's over-priced if your intention is to put it somewhere like back to what it was, even as a civilianised bobber let alone a military.

At the end of the day, what you're getting there is a bike that will handle and stop like a hardtailed Sportster but with a top speed slightly below the motorway maximum, will struggle to out-accelerate a Honda 125, hand change/foot clutch setup which is an acquired art and limited appeal except as a show pony. You'd get pissed off with it very quickly I think. 45's are like horses, they need regular gallops to keep them in good condition; I've come across many like this which are rarely ridden, and they're inevitably more hassle than one that gets used as a daily drive.

Odometer says three miles and yet going by the tax disc it's not a fresh rebuild. That says it all, someone's found out what I said above the hard way, or they've just bought it as an ornament.

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at it with doubts from what you have said before about others. I was thinking of a project for the winter then saw this and thought about doing this - not to ride - I can't coordinate my limbs as it is let alone cope with this set up but from what you're saying about prices, I'll leave it alone.

The shop is at silverend, at the end of the delph run.
Zac will know this one.:D
They have a lot of old brit stuff. Nice, but expensive.

What a neat, tidy little motorcycle.
Save for the dual coils, it looks very much as I'd set a 45 up for the occasional street fun-time.
(snickers at the F & R discs........ rather like Speys on a Sopwith, but of course I'd keep'em)
But at @ 18K m.o.l. UD$ I could put up two? nice .............................. Shovels.

No expert but I like the look, and even I spotted the non-stock stuff. At the end of the day, they're only worth what somebody is prepared to pay, as with all things.

i think Dave Parker,s 45 is a better buy ,,, more original and a easy job to finish it ,,

john

Cool and shiny on the outside but whats on the inside? Kev has summed it up well it shouts shouts show and no go and will need concerted input to go like you want it, ask me how I know. On second thoughts dont ask.

Back