1974 FLH Brake Bleed Valve / Nipple

English Bob

Club Member
Hi - I've got a '74 FLH with what look to be correct OEM banana calipers. Front bleed fitting is 3/8, rear is 1/4 (why they are different is beyond me).

I need to rebuild the front master cylinder and in the process of investigation have found the front bleed valve won't budge so it's been hit with penetrating oil the past few days, hoping this will do the trick.

Before I give it a go (which is sure to involve the bleed valve crumbling and cursing much of the south coast will hear):

1) Does anyone know where I can find OEM replacement bleed valves - I can't seem to find anything earlier than 1977 - it would appear 3/8 x 24 is correct for the front caliper?

2) Is anyone using speed bleeders like this and what is your experience with them https://www.hogparts.co.uk/goodridge-speed-bleeder-3-8-x-24-part-920881-p50085

Any pointers gratefully received - thank you.

I have used Stahlbus Speed Bleeders. Quality German made Makes bleeding brakes easy. There is a complete list of Cars/Bikes with thread dimentions etc . HERE but if yours is not listed give them a ring.
Click HERE for their website then scroll down to Dealer Search. Click on this and a Map comes up and you can scroll in to the UK to see dealer info.
Good Luck.

Hi - I've got a '74 FLH with what look to be correct OEM banana calipers. Front bleed fitting is 3/8, rear is 1/4 (why they are different is beyond me).

I need to rebuild the front master cylinder and in the process of investigation have found the front bleed valve won't budge so it's been hit with penetrating oil the past few days, hoping this will do the trick.

Before I give it a go (which is sure to involve the bleed valve crumbling and cursing much of the south coast will hear):

1) Does anyone know where I can find OEM replacement bleed valves - I can't seem to find anything earlier than 1977 - it would appear 3/8 x 24 is correct for the front caliper?

2) Is anyone using speed bleeders like this and what is your experience with them https://www.hogparts.co.uk/goodridge-speed-bleeder-3-8-x-24-part-920881-p50085

Any pointers gratefully received - thank you.
FWIW looked at my 78 FLH and seems to be the same.
Front looks like 3/8 and rear 1/4.
Stahlbus chart says that FL 73-79 should both be 1/4, always a chance that the front caliper has been swapped out for a later one as almost all later ones seem to say 3/8.

FWIW looked at my 78 FLH and seems to be the same.
Front looks like 3/8 and rear 1/4.
Stahlbus chart says that FL 73-79 should both be 1/4, always a chance that the front caliper has been swapped out for a later one as almost all later ones seem to say 3/8.
lol just found the HD part number 41749-58 and you are indeed correct

• 41749-58 is 1/4 for FL 73-79
  • 44146-77 is 3/8 for FLH early 80

So it's a later front caliper, mystery solved, and I learned something today- thank you for taking the time to go and look!
:)

A couple of thoughts....later caliper might have been run on DOT 5 as changeover was '77 1/2 from memory?

I use basic syringe with pipe to backfill via bleedscrew, always bleeds straight up.
I bought this one around a year ago and over the winter the front master cylinder started to leak - inspection shows clear not purple fluid, so am using Brembo DOT 3.

Re the syringe method I may just give this a try. I have an irrational fear of all things brake-related and this seems more logical than any other method
:)

Last edited:
Back