1977 XLCR pillion pegs, axle etc.

Bert

Club Member
Good day folks,
I am looking to buy a set of pillion pegs for a 1977 XLCR Sportster.
The ones that go through the rear axle.
I have had a good look on the internet/google and flea bay etc and can only find one poor tiny photo that shows me nothing of assistance.
Seeing as I have to re register my motorcycle at considerable expense due to a 40 year old typing error at considerable expense or make my bike capable of carrying two people safely to get the necessary road worthy paperwork I would really like to get a pillion peg kit instead.

Please help if you can. Thank you. Regards, Bert.

p.s. photo is just to help generate interest in this post.
XLCR 1977 HArley -Davidson.jpeg

Go to Google and put in

Bonham's lot 326 Harley Davidson XLCH

Then open

From Fred Warr Harley Davidson 1977

You should get pictures of a '77 cafe racer with pillion footrests. They will enlarge.

Well spotted Ron, they look like standard pillion pegs from the period, would probably need to take the rear wheel out for a longer bolt, but looks pretty simple to fit.

I assume that you already know that the standard Sportster at the time had passenger pegs which were fitted to the bottom mount of the shocks? as the retaining "nut" for the shock?

Thanks Gents,
for your thoughts and suggestions.
I am aware that the standard Sportster mounting for the slightly later models was to mount them on the lower shock mount.
I will be able to purchase, easily, a similar set up, I'll only have to sort out some adapter threads as the pegs I can obtain are a different thread size to the bolt size of my motorcycle.
As luck would have it I had I believe found or been found by, a gent in the US who has the model correct rear axle, pegs etc. and dual saddle for a 78 XLCR which he is willing to sell.
I have to return to my ship very soon so will hopefully have the pieces I need on my return home on my next leave.
I am endeavouring to find the correct XLCR pieces as the 'MOT' station workforce, here in Spain, can be very pedantic over these things, to such an extent that on my last visit they searched on the internet, right there in the test bay, for the information they wanted and checked details against the details they saw on the screen.
That does not mean that they are always looking at the correct information.
As stated earlier, there are photos of XLCRs on the internet, for example, Fred Warr's at the Bonham's auction that could be held up to be a genuine and original standard motorcycles. There are two discrepancies, as I see it after a brief look, with his bike, compared with others I've seen reported to be genuine original unrestored. The gear lever and the passenger foot pegs.
The 1977 XLCR was never sold officially, as a bike with pillion carrying capacity. It was an optional extra available for the 1978 onward models but available as a kit to fit to the 1977 bikes. So my 1977 bike first registered on the 6th of June 1977 was never a dual seat model. Therefore the 47 year old paperwork has a typing error which is my difficulty.

Not much help I know but just found this shot I took of John Warr on his XLCR in 1983, he has extended the seat and put XLH pegs on the shocks. (not a very clear photo but the pegs perhaps are not on the shocks..?)

FHW open day 1983 six.jpg

My 72 XLCH had pillion pegs mounted on the bottom shock bolt like that, possibly same part as they were little short stubby things.

Patrick Delli might be the go to for help, he has a fair bit of XLCR knowhow.

My 72 XLCH had pillion pegs mounted on the bottom shock bolt like that, possibly same part as they were little short stubby things.

Patrick Delli might be the go to for help, he has a fair bit of XLCR knowhow.
Thank you KevS.
I do not know who Patrick Delli is but I'm always happy to listen to the many who know more than I do.

Here's a LHS pic of an XLCR.

You can zoom in to see the riders footrest, for info.

HD XLCR Cafe Racer LHS Photo.png

Hi Bert, if your bike has the same clip on the rear brake hose that the picture (just above) from Dave shows, almost behind the footrest, it needs removing to check the condition of the hose. My 1980 XLH Sportster had the same clip and it held the hose too tight which caused it to fracture at the calliper end. When I took it off to replace it I found the clip had rubbed through the first layer of rubber hose, through the canvas? reinforcing and was on its way through the inner rubber. Basically the hoses was too short to be pulled down that far so I left the so called safety clip off and have never had a problem with it since.

The riders left footrest peg looks to be the same as my 1980 pillion rests. Can't see clearly enough to be certain how it mounts. This type of peg goes back to a least 1975 (part number 33048-720) and maybe much earlier. A friends 1995-6 parts book shows the same number and they were used on the V-Rods as both pillion and rider footrests.

I had another look at the Bonham's pictures and while the speedo shows 106 miles there is a lot more wear on the bike than that, perhaps a speedo change to imperial from metric. Time for the differences Bert spotted to be made.

Oldguy- In the interests of accuracy the pillion rests on the Bonham's bike are defiantly mounted to the bottom of the shock not the wheel spindle.:encouragement:

Hi Bert, if your bike has the same clip on the rear brake hose that the picture (just above) from Dave shows, almost behind the footrest, it needs removing to check the condition of the hose. My 1980 XLH Sportster had the same clip and it held the hose too tight which caused it to fracture at the calliper end. When I took it off to replace it I found the clip had rubbed through the first layer of rubber hose, through the canvas? reinforcing and was on its way through the inner rubber. Basically the hoses was too short to be pulled down that far so I left the so called safety clip off and have never had a problem with it since.

The riders left footrest peg looks to be the same as my 1980 pillion rests. Can't see clearly enough to be certain how it mounts. This type of peg goes back to a least 1975 (part number 33048-720) and maybe much earlier. A friends 1995-6 parts book shows the same number and they were used on the V-Rods as both pillion and rider footrests.

I had another look at the Bonham's pictures and while the speedo shows 106 miles there is a lot more wear on the bike than that, perhaps a speedo change to imperial from metric. Time for the differences Bert spotted to be made.

Oldguy- In the interests of accuracy the pillion rests on the Bonham's bike are defiantly mounted to the bottom of the shock not the wheel spindle.:encouragement:
Thank you Ron for your observations and your advice. As it happens I do not have that rear brake hose clip on my bike and see no need for it so have never gone through the parts book to search for a number or an equivalent.
I will not be able nor do I have a desire to rebuild a 100 point original bike, just a working rideable machine with as close to original without being a slave to the parts book.
I do have to build the bike to as close to the original spec as visually possible. So for the purposes of theITV (MOT) I do have to fit rear view mirrors that are as close to original spec as is possible. The fact that they vibrate in such a manner as to be useless is not relevant to the ITV inspector. :rolleyes:
As the inspector has access to the internet and because my paperwork incorrectly states the bike to be a two seater, I do have to comply with this detail. Yes I could put pegs on the lower shock mounts and I can get a local company to manufacture a saddle that will look the spitting image of the original but this will take time to order parts fabricated pieces and commission the upholsterer.
Unfortunately my home leave is coming to an end and I will have to return to the ship on which I serve. In the meantime, I have found a gent willing to sell me an almost complete 1978 dual saddle & foot peg kit.
This should, I hope satisfy the ITV inspector and it also satisfies my desire to keep as close as possible to the original spec of the bike.
I do not have official documentation showing the foot peg layout and the 1978 supplement pages of the parts book does not include pictures of the necessary pieces only part numbers. So the learning curve is long and fun. I just hope I'm successful.
As can be seen on the photos of my bike, it is not perfect neither is it completely original, my gear leaver is from a completely different year of bike. The riders foot pegs are in the correct place.and they are mounted on a straight bar where other models have the pillion pegs mounted giving a slightly rear set foot positing. The Gear lever is reverse and the gear change mechanism is reverse too, so it is still 1st down and three up.
I will find/buy a straight gear lever as I think this will help towards a better gear selection and be more comfortable. But I will not be hanging out for an OEM lever unless one happens along.

IMG_7989.JPG

Reactions: Ron
Your gear lever looks like my 1980 one, part number 34606-75, shift lever only and the toe peg is 34611-65, rubber, shift lever.

If you put the supplement part numbers up somebody may be able to help with pictures or where else that part was used.

Not much help I know but just found this shot I took of John Warr on his XLCR in 1983, he has extended the seat and put XLH pegs on the shocks. (not a very clear photo but the pegs perhaps are not on the shocks..?)

View attachment 1199093
Thanks for that pic, Paul. Think that is the very bike I rode back in '83 which had been John's painted in those colours which we sold that year through Coburn and Hughes. A memorable evening where the bike rode beautifully once it was running. A dodgy starter button meant that I had to push it numerous times with pressure in different areas to get any action. Culminated in leaving a party late at night where no amount of prodding made it burst into life and we had to bump start. A very happy 40 year old memory!

Steve

Ron, his rider pegs are indeed the same 33048-72 rear pillion pegs on the regular Sporties.

Bert - probably not of any help now but have been up in loft and dug out my 99426-77 factory XLCR parts book, will leave it on sitting room bookshelf for now.

A bit off topic but if my dodgy memory is correct that looks like the distinctive XLCR owned in mid 80's by Anglia Rep Alison (?)?

Your gear lever looks like my 1980 one, part number 34606-75, shift lever only and the toe peg is 34611-65, rubber, shift lever.

If you put the supplement part numbers up somebody may be able to help with pictures or where else that part was used.
Ron.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Red. the gear lever.

I remember Alison Chapman (or was it Chaplin?), I can't remember what she rode but I have this recollection that she was a helicopter engineer (seriously) and ended up working for Westland? Very popular girl.

Hi Paul, my 1979-1985 XL Models parts book shows the pillion pegs to be the 33048-72 ones.

The XLCR 1978 parts book supplement shows the pillion peg and rear axle set up as part number 52097-78.
There rear axle as 41566-78 as the original 1977 axle is 41563-77.
The gear lever that may come from other models 34616-77. Not sure if there are other models that use this item.
I've not found it yet.

Back