1994 Harley Davidson XL1200 Sportster For Sale On Ebay.

That is an absolute steal for anyone wanting a relatively unmolested 90's Sportster. I've bought Jap bikes from them and they're a decent outfit.

What a pity that it will probably end up with the obligatory tank lift, side mounted number plate, mini apes and Quasimodo seating position which seems to be all the rage these days.

That is an absolute steal for anyone wanting a relatively unmolested 90's Sportster. I've bought Jap bikes from them and they're a decent outfit.

What a pity that it will probably end up with the obligatory tank lift, side mounted number plate, mini apes and Quasimodo seating position which seems to be all the rage these days.
Side mounted plate - gonna need one of those, as these 90's bikes only allowed for a small yank plate between the rear light and carrier, or an 'illegal' Brit one.
The way round it is to take off the carrier and fit the 'legal' plate when you take it for the MoT - just for one day!;)

Side mounted plate - gonna need one of those, as these 90's bikes only allowed for a small yank plate between the rear light and carrier, or an 'illegal' Brit one.
The way round it is to take off the carrier and fit the 'legal' plate when you take it for the MoT - just for one day!;)
Think you may find that there's a derogation for this, Fuz would know best.

Think you may find that there's a derogation for this, Fuz would know best.
Scriv, I think the derogation only applies where the carrier would be a fixed part of the bike it came with when new.
I don't think it applies to what I would call, in this case, an 'after market fitting'.
ie. if your Yank or imported Jap car has an area where a Brit standard No. plate would not fit, you're allowed something smaller.
But as you say I would let Fuz have the last word on this.

Scriv, I think the derogation only applies where the carrier would be a fixed part of the bike it came with when new.
I don't think it applies to what I would call, in this case, an 'after market fitting'.
ie. if your Yank or imported Jap car has an area where a Brit standard No. plate would not fit, you're allowed something smaller.
But as you say I would let Fuz have the last word on this.
I fell foul of this with my RK.. Club Member Tom does my bike Mot's told me off this year... I had removed rack / sissy bar, which rendered my previously OK small plate as a fail. Fortunately he's a mate, so delayed start of test, and let me borrow a rack he had, which made my plate legit again.

3 bike shops locally have lost their MoT licence in the last 18 months for indiscretions.

Back