2006 ultra CB

R

rigman

Hi all, I've just tried out my new bike and CB, the reception is very faint, volume full up makes no diference. Tried it with two other 05 bikes, they hear me but with "static"... any ideas, thanks.:confused:

Re: 2006 ultra CB

May need the antenna tuning, the dealer should do it under warranty

rigman said:
Hi all, I've just tried out my new bike and CB, the reception is very faint, volume full up makes no diference. Tried it with two other 05 bikes, they hear me but with "static"... any ideas, thanks.:confused:

I have the same problem and so do others. I think there's a general problem with the 2006 radios, and I'm wondering if perhaps it's possible that the pre-2006 UK bikes used the UK-only CB27/81 frequencies, while the MoCo have blundered and on the 06 Ultras with the Harman/Kardon Radios they've done the newer Euro frequencies......

But even in the US there seem to be some people with the problem, and it seems that the MoCo is aware of it.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1132341485

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1131360088

make interesting reading on the subject.

Jim

biz said:
I'm wondering if perhaps it's possible that the pre-2006 UK bikes used the UK-only CB27/81 frequencies, while the MoCo have blundered and on the 06 Ultras with the Harman/Kardon Radios they've done the newer Euro frequencies......

Interesting. I'm going to check but I always thought that the CB on my '96 Ultra was on the newer Euro frequencies, like all CBs are now. It certainly worked fine on my last euro trip.
I think Phild is about right. He usualy is ;) :)

biz said:
Check out this thread:

Jim

Sure Jim, but the Yanks are not going to have Euro/oldstyle UK frequency problems. Start with the simpler stuff. Quote from Manual "A faulty antenna system can cause poor or no reception for the CB or no transmit range for the CB." The antenna has to be adjusted to give the correct standing wave ratio by changing the mast length. To do this you need the correct meter, which the dealer has got. He might not have bothered when setting up the bike cos nobody uses their CB in the UK. Which might be true cos nobody sets the bloody things up. I was told by a dealer when the bike was very young that my CB would not work in the UK because it was tuned to USA frequencies. Wrong, there is a little plate on the transceiver to say it's set up to comply with GB regs. So there may be a problem with the 2006 transceivers but in the meantime why not checkout the simple solutions?

Hey Baz, I'll Roger that. I'll roger anything

Gray said:
Sure Jim, but the Yanks are not going to have Euro/oldstyle UK frequency problems. Start with the simpler stuff. Quote from Manual "A faulty antenna system can cause poor or no reception for the CB or no transmit range for the CB." The antenna has to be adjusted to give the correct standing wave ratio by changing the mast length. To do this you need the correct meter, which the dealer has got. He might not have bothered when setting up the bike cos nobody uses their CB in the UK. Which might be true cos nobody sets the bloody things up. I was told by a dealer when the bike was very young that my CB would not work in the UK because it was tuned to USA frequencies. Wrong, there is a little plate on the transceiver to say it's set up to comply with GB regs. So there may be a problem with the 2006 transceivers but in the meantime why not checkout the simple solutions?

I have a decent SWR meter myself, but it's not that - this is something that seems to affect ALL 2006 Ultras. The transmit side (most affected by SWR) is pretty good, but the receive side isn't. When someone else on a non 2006 bike transmits, it's for all the world as if they are off-frequency, which means that you know they are transmitting, but it's so quiet that it's just off inaudible. As for not using the CBs in the UK, everybody I know does! The HD antennae is a fixed length too, and couldn't be far enough off in SWR to cause such a severe receive problem. This is my third Ultra with a CB, and the previous two (and everyone else I know's) have worked straight out of the box. Every 2006 model seems not to..... Additionally, they seem to admit that there is a (frequency) problem in the US on these, and as everything is set up by firmware, I can certainly see it being carried over to UK models.

Cheers,

Jim

Back