2008 TC 96 Dyna - Starter problem?

garethr

Club Member
2008 TC 96 Dyna - Starter problem?

In the 18 months since I acquired the Dyna, it's always fired up instantly, even when the Cetek battery condition indicator shows amber, or even red.

Last week, coincidentally after I replaced the tank balance pipe (obviously not related), it refused to start.

Battery fully charged. Condition indicator green.
Hit the button.
Click.
Engine didn't turn over.
Lights went off. Condition indicator red.
After a few seconds, electrics came to life.
Charge battery.
Repeat.

Surprisingly, it didn't fix itself :), so I checked that the battery terminals were tight, and jumped it off a car battery. Immediate start, and it's continued to start off the bike battery.

I'm about to order a new battery, since I've noticed that the condition indicator goes to red after 4 or 5 starts in quick succession (although it still starts), but now I don't really trust it because I don't know the cause of the problem.

I'm wondering if something jammed up, causing a massive battery drain, which tripped a contact breaker which then reset after a few seconds?

Any ideas welcome.

Swap the Starter Relay over with another Relay. Relay contacts do burn and wear out over time. Have you got a wiring diagram for your bike? A lot easier to see problem areas if looking at a Diagram.

All you have said points to a battery that can't deliver the load current required for the starter motor to even turn, they are plenty of posts on here and other forums on how to check the battery, just because it appears to be fully charged form the battery charger, may even show 12 plus volts, when put under load it can't deliver the amps (Cold Cranking Amps CCA), the voltage will drop as soon as you hit the starter button.

If you have a multimeter put it across the battery, then hit the starter button, I bet it will drop well below 9 volts and is fwkd!
If you can't test the battery take it out to someone who can before you buy one, until you know the battery is good you are possibly chasing your tail !

Have a look at the starter solenoid, had the same problem on the starter , if all your other checks don't come up with anything.
The Starter relay if ok should put power to your solenoid, if it just clicks it may need a service ie clean the internal contacts.

Back