2019 RGS fuel check valve leak

snowflake

H-DRCGB Treasurer
Is this a common issue?
IMG_5552.jpeg
Not the best pic I’m afraid, but when I got back from Alcester on Sunday afternoon I smelled fuel (hadn’t had a whiff of before during the day). It appears to be coming out of the 90 degree valve connection.

I’d had a good run back, no issues, bike running smoothly.

I’d fuelled up at the Alcester BP next to the Travelodge - it was 95 unleaded, but the smell in the garage at home is what I would call an ‘off’ or ‘harsh’ petrol smell.

I’ve been online to see what the score is and have found the odd video/content here or there, but nothing too specific to say this is a common issue and what needs to be done.

Anyone got any ‘previous’ with this?

It's normally the 'o' rings cracked, worn, perished etc. Fuel-Tool do replacement rings and kit to do it, costly!
HOG parts sell them. There are plenty of posts on the US & UK forums and people have repaired them without the tool and just buying the 'o' rings, which I believe H-D do not sell!

A first step may be remove the fuel pipe check the seal, lubricate and ensure the spigot on the fuel pipe goes in straight.

Fuel Line.jpg

Fuel-Tool

Fuel _tool.jpg

Click on the below HOG parts link to give you an idea of what sort of kits etc. are available.

Hog Parts Fuel-Tool

Last edited:
It's normally the 'o' rings cracked, worn, perished etc. Fuel-Tool do replacement rings and kit to do it, costly!
HOG parts sell them. There are plenty of posts on the US & UK forums and people have repaired them without the tool and just buying the 'o' rings, which I believe H-D do not sell!

A first step may be remove the fuel pipe check the seal, lubricate and ensure the spigot on the fuel pipe goes in straight.

View attachment 1197753

Fuel-Tool

View attachment 1197752

Click on the below HOG parts link to give you an idea of what sort of kits etc. are available.

Hog Parts Fuel-Tool
Thanks for that; it's what I thought/hoped it wouldn't be.
I'll check out the removal procedure. If it's as simple as it looks above, it shouldn't be so hard to identify the issue, getting/fitting the new parts might not be so easy, but better than ££££ at the stealership.
Bit rubbish on a 2019 model - 'Made in the USA'..... :rolleyes:

As said above, first step would be to split the coupling and ensure that the seals etc are clean and not going hard. Give it a clean and lube the seals and coupling with vaseline, then put it back together and see if it’s still leaking. Its not uncommon for the coupling to simply need a clean and lubricating.

If you watch the Fuel-Tool video, 'they' say the lower 'o' is the one that causes most of the leaks, you can see how easy the tool kit makes it.
However below is a link to a video that does not use the Fuel-Tool tools and has no adverts and Blah, Blah promotion.

Leaking fuel connector repair

Back