84 FXS with sidecar

Malamute

Ive had a slow motion project going to attach a sidecar to my 84 Low Rider. being out of the game many years, when I jumped back in I realized I would need electric start, and possible a sidecar to help offset back, hip and shoulder injuries. The side effect of a sidecar is the dog gets to go adventuring also, not to be left home when the urge to explore back country strikes.

Riding hasnt been too much of a problem on two wheels, but I proceeded with the sidecar for the dogs sake, though its been slow getting her used to getting in it. Im hoping to be able to eventually do more exploring in the American West, much as I did in the past in Arizona on my 47 knuckle. Theres vast areas of dirt roads and mountains and hills to ride and see, all public land and generally open to use.

The sidecar is a used DMC make, I dont know the exact sub-model, the basic description would be M72 I believe. The mounts on it werent made for an older H-D, and the sidecar maker didnt know quite what it required, so I researched and figured out and fabricated workable mounts, some parts had to come from another sidecar maker (Freedom). Its been a good project, enjoyable if slow.

Will try a couple pictures, the last one I posted turned out to be rather small for some reason.

Basic bike, a work in progress,...

...and the pictures wont load. Something about my user groups limit has only X amount of space left and my image was slightly above that, even the reduced file size image. if someone knows how to post a couple moderate size images, please let me know.

If you pm me I'll give you my e-mail, you send me the pix and I'll put them on (and take all the credit as well!).

Right, lets give this a try - fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG_0044 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0044 - Copy.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0269 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0269 - Copy.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 3
(ps; have I mentioned before that Hippy speaks fluent Malamute? - lost his recently...)

Awesome, thank you!

First picture is the basic bike, still a work in progress. Its slated to get FL shift and brake parts and old style halfmoon footboards, as well as an FXWG front end. m not sure if Ill adapt a 19" 13 spoke alloy wheel or use the 21" spoke wheel. I have 5 gallon tanks for it, Ill get them squared away before doing any western trips. I have other, much more nefarious plans for the bike, in case I locate a R half engine case from the 1958-69 period, and can add some STD Pan heads with shovel intake and exhaust. I discovered that Knuckles and most Pans were way out of my budget when I got back into riding, Im making the best of the nearly brand new * 1984 bike though.

The sidecar. Its been fun getting used to riding with it, very different than a two wheel bike, but not terribly difficult with a bit of knowledge gained on the advrider forum sidecar section. I added a receiver hitch to the rear, it already had one on the front. I have a mount for a small ATV winch in case I get my tired old body stuck on a muddy road or ditch in the back country, and it may be helpful in loading in a trailer some time. The winch can be swapped fairly easily from front to rear as needed. They winches have been used on urals before, which was the intended use of the mount I purchased. I have a 16(?) spoke 16" H-D cast wheel for the sidecar, Ill have to get with my welder and modify the swingarm for the correct axle to work with the sidecar.

* Or so it seems after having the 1947 Knuckle years ago. I was humbled when thinking that the 47 seemed ancient when I built it in about 1980, but the 1984 is older now than the 47 was then. My housekeeper was not as amused as I when I mentioned the 84 qualified for antique tags, she then mentioned she was born in 84......

Last edited:
(ps; have I mentioned before that Hippy speaks fluent Malamute? - lost his recently...)

Sorry to hear that, Im on Malamute No 6 or 7 right now. Mine talks constantly when shes up and about or wants something. Absolutely hilarious dog.

Looking forward to a pic of the doggy in the sidecar. I LOVE those dogs. Greetings from myself and my black labrador in Australia...

Back