96/103 exhaust interchangeability?

Martz

Club Member
Hi all. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I'm having a change round of my 96in Fatty. The V&H Grenades are going. (Just to give my ears a rest) and I want to replace them with the standard Fat Bob system. Couple of minor issues that I would appreciate some advice on.
1/ Probably the most important question. I have found a virtually mint condition blemish free 103 Fat Bob complete system.... Will it fit dimensions wise? I've had a look at the H-D parts lists and the part numbers for the headers are different, everything else is the same.
2/ The 103 system has the exhaust valve. My bike is a US market model and doesn't! Is the default position for the valve open or closed? Will I have to resort to some form of bodgery... Sorry I meant engineering process to either remove or hold it open? (There may be wiring in place to fit the servo but I don't know if the ECU's are different).
3/ I have O2 eliminators fitted with the V&H, the 103 system comes with O2 sensors. Will the plugs match up? The part numbers for the sensors are different. Is there any benefit to keeping the O2 sensors blanked off with the standard system?
4/ I've also found a half decent 96in system, it needs a coat of TLC but is sound and fairly presentable as it is, Would I be better fitting that? :unsure:

Finally are there any pitfalls in doing this swap that I may have overlooked? Incidentally I will also be doing a cat delete.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. (y)

Martz.

OK. So after lots of research and the fine fellows over at HOG it turns out that all TC's are totally interchangeable. O2 sensors as well. Hopefully that will help someone. (y)

Just a thought is the bike stockish no cams ect just air filter and pipes otherwise you may strangle the performance going back to a stock set with stock mufflers you will need a remap or its gonna run like a donkey…..🤷🏻‍♂️

As far as I am aware the bike only has the Grenades and a K&N filter. Reasonably sure there's no cam upgrade. However, after much deliberation I actually decided on a set of V&H straightshots c/w baffles. I figured that might be an easier solution and they were cheap. Reverting to the standard set up would mean as you correctly point out, probably having to get the bike remapped. If I have problems with the straightshots fitted I'll be looking at taking it over to Alex at Fast Lane. A V&H Fuelpack might be an option too. All this because it's too loud and the footrest don't line up. :ROFLMAO:

Alex can organise a powervision license so you dont have to buy the whole shebang but its worth doing as part of one of his packages cams heads ect then it will really come alive (y):cool:

Had baffled straight shots on my 2012 96’’ Superglide when I bought it. I found them to be offensively loud even with my impaired hearing, swiftly replaced them with a good used pair of standard silencers.

I had straight shots with "baffles" in on my Deuce before fitting the grenades. Hate to say it, but the grenades are quieter (or should that say less noisy). You can get a "quiet" baffle for the straight shots, but everyone who's tried them say they're hardly any different. You could try re-packing the baffles on the grenades first.

I had Long Shots on my last bike and even with the 'quiet' baffles in they were pretty loud. I was thinking of installing 'very quiet' baffles to make it more Switzerland friendly but sold the bike. At least you've got options with the straight shots I guess.

Standard pipes are cheap and guaranteed to fit, they can be made less restrictive quite easily by core drilling out the centre baffle. The 2 into 1 baffle is easy to jam open and the O2 sensors can be eliminated re-mapped or altered with a resistor. IMG_2594.jpeg

Standard pipes are cheap and guaranteed to fit, they can be made less restrictive quite easily by core drilling out the centre baffle. The 2 into 1 baffle is easy to jam open and the O2 sensors can be eliminated re-mapped or altered with a resistor.

This may well be the next option. (y) If nothing else at least I'm learning. :)

Back