Advanced Test

A

Ainzy

Okay i have my advanced booked in for the summer, to be honest, i havent a clue what it involves, so any clues would be a help.

Cheers Ainz:wink:

Re: Advanced Test

Took my IAM test in 1992. Then decided in 2009 to see if much had changed and took the RoSPA test. I've not kept up the membership of either as I'd decided being a member of either was not important to me.

That said the training is worthwhile whether you want to take the test or not.

You'll probably find you're doing alot of the system already. Basically it's just trying to get you to think about your riding. Making sure you are ready for hazards you can see and think about ones you cannot from clues you can pick up. It also has you think about what is the best position in the road, right speed and right gear to deal with hazards.

Took my IAM test in 1992. Then decided in 2009 to see if much had changed and took the RoSPA test. I've not kept up the membership of either as I'd decided being a member of either was not important to me.

That said the training is worthwhile whether you want to take the test or not.

You'll probably find you're doing alot of the system already. Basically it's just trying to get you to think about your riding. Making sure you are ready for hazards you can see and think about ones you cannot from clues you can pick up. It also has you think about what is the best position in the road, right speed and right gear to deal with hazards.
Very much so as with my EFAD driver training every other year with the Fire service, riding since 1968 I thought I pretty well knew everything but a day with a Met police rider I learnt a lot and was pleased I did the course with them [Bikesafe], many things not so much forgotten but an update to rules and what you can do and extra things to look out for that one could take for granted.

ANY advanced rider training has got to be good in my opinion. Go and enjoy Ainzy and keep us posted mate.

Last edited:

If your anywhere near Essex and want To get involved with the BikeSafe
Get In Touch With Paul he is not a bad guy (For Old Bill-Sorry Paul)

Paul HILLS
Police Constable 1559
Motorcycle Unit, Casualty Reduction Unit
Operational Police Command
Holts Lane
Boreham
CM33BG

Nice one Ainzy. Good luck with it and enjoy yourself.

Don't forget, the homework is to ride your bike. :60277EB7B04744289C0

Nicky

Before I committed anything to saying anything I wanted to know what advanced test Ainzy was taking.

The main thing for anyone undertaking advanced riding is to get a copy of Roadcraft and get to know the system of IPSGA
Information, Position,Speed, Gearing and Acceleration.
This should be applied to every part of your journey and everything should be treated as a potential hazard, be it traffic, bends, potholes.

Within Rospa there are three test passes- Gold, Silver and Bronze( and fail) and it is retested every three years.
Within IAM it is pass or fail and no retest.
Their is also BMF Blue Riband, and the Advanced Riders Scheme run by the DSA.

A few years ago I thought I was a resonably competent rider with good roadcraft until me and a couple of mates went for a run with my cousin who was a biker cop. On a fast ride through the Scotish borders he left most of us standing and while he rode smoothly around bends without even braking we were all left thrashing up and down the gearbox braking heavily on all the corners in an attempt to try and keep up :redface: That opened my eyes to how unproficient I was.

I took my IAM test for bikes in 1977. I used to instruct on a course run by Manchester Council for riders taking their advanced. Maybe this year I should take a refresher course. I don't ride enough these days to be at my best.
Any ideas what the toughest of the tests is?

Examiners are often both IAM and Rospa testers but there is set criteria for Rospa grades of Gold, Silver and Bronze.

IAM members regularly go over to Rospa to 'upgrade'their qualification.

The Rospa gold is the civilian equivalent of a police class one motorcyclist.
Silver covers a wide range of riding from just missed out on a gold- to just slightly better than a bronze.
A bronze shows that there is some advances skills but can also be considerable improvement.

Well put Sue
any bike training is worth doing, if you want to improve your skill.

if theres a RoSPA course near you have a go and you will learn!!

are courses start next Tuesday 5th Feburary at park school Barnstaple at 7pm .

come along and meet us .

john

IAM have quite expensive annual membership. You need to go on their website to find out the costs.

Rospa have local groups with individual rates, RoSPAsmart - based in Sussex and Kent has a joining fee which includes 4 hours theory as well as access to training and ride outs. ?10 expenses is paid by the trainee to the instructor to cover expenses on each training run. The renewal fee is then ?15.
Test fees are separate.

Private companies which advertise advanced training days all have various prices but none of them that cheap.

North Devon RoSPA is ?35 for the year that six lectures a assessment ride

one to one tuition for as long as it takes

we charge a small fee to help observers petrol of a ?5 per ride.

the test is extra (but that up to you if you take it)

started last night at Park School Barnstaple , first lecture is next Tuesday 12th feb

john( anyone in this area interested contact me )

To everyone who is following this thread, especially the lower mileage riders. All this advanced training is without doubt a good thing. BUT dont fall into the trap that it solves ALL your riding skills problems. Its only a tick in the box to help you move ahead with your skill levels.
You need to ride your bike EVERYDAY all year round in all conditions to achieve a level where all the training becomes purely instinctive, ie if you have to think about it second by second its TOO LATE. Ultimately thats how bike cops, other emergency first response bikers and surviving dispatch riders get to be as good as they are. Use it or lose it. :D

Back