Air Filter Cover

R

rocketman

Hi Guys,

Just been away for the weekend and on the way home the screaming eagle air filter cover fell off.

I was doing about 40mph and felt something fall against the inside of my right leg,it was indeed the air filter cover.

I pulled over as soon as i could but could not stop the cover from falling on to the tarmac and it is now badly scratched.On closer examination it seems the bolts are still in the engine,its as if someone has just wrenched the cover off,looking inside the cover i can see jaggered bits of metal where the bolt holes are.

If i can i'll post a photo later,i contacted Hog Assistance and they advised me not to continue and i was recovered home.

It of course needs to be repaired.....but is it a warranty job,the road king is a year old with 3,500 miles on the clock and serviced in April 13th at 2500 miles.

Hope i have posted in the correct place

Regards

Steve

Re: Air Filter Cover

I've heard of some older versions of the S.E. cleaner kit breaking before, vibration and they've snapped off, never seen it happen.

Here is the picture of the air filter cover,hopefully it should enlarge if you click on it,have not got to grips with the computer world fully yet:D

Steve

similar thing happened some years ago on my roadking although it didnt fall off, the vibration caused it to rip part of the filter around the fixed rivnuts.
the only conclusion I can make is that one of the screw were loose, and not threadlocked.
even the number plate was incorrectly fitted, a comment form a certain salesman who still works for chesterfield who used to work for robin bastards, was."so what?" even though it had damaged the rear bumper.
having bought it from a main dealer and knowing the quality of the monkies they employ, I wasn't surprised.
the moral is dont go to the main stealers for any kind of work go independant or do it yourself.
and as for hog recovery tell that pile of horse manure then kick them into touch too!!!!

So what you saying then Simon? :D

Don't you like Dealers or HOG Assistance...LOL

Personally I would have ridden it home it would not have been a problem only a cover missing and you still had the filter in place. Never had any of that on our old SU carbs in the sixties eh Si?:rolleyes:

Hi There,

Cant knock Hog Assistance,i phoned at 7 pm,a van turned up just after 7.30,had all the correct equipment and knew what he was doing.He got me home before 9 and that meant i had time to get up the pub:D

So is it a warranty job.

Steve

I'm slightly confused:confused:
Your picture shows a view of the inside face of your filter body,(the face that goes against the intake manifold) yet you say it was the filter cover which fell off:confused: Thats the round chrome part normally fitted by a single 3/8" allen cap screw in the centre.
Or did both parts fall off:confused:

Either way it looks to me like someone has wrenched it off and burst through the filter mounting holes leaving the screws in the manifold.:( and causing the 'ripped' holes shown.

That being the case,there is no way it's warranty:( (unless warranty covers VANDALISM:mad:

weedavie_j said:
I'm slightly confused:confused:
Your picture shows a view of the inside face of your filter body,(the face that goes against the intake manifold) yet you say it was the filter cover which fell off:confused: Thats the round chrome part normally fitted by a single 3/8" allen cap screw in the centre.
Or did both parts fall off:confused:

Either way it looks to me like someone has wrenched it off and burst through the filter mounting holes leaving the screws in the manifold.:( and causing the 'ripped' holes shown.

That being the case,there is no way it's warranty:( (unless warranty covers VANDALISM:mad:

Yep both parts fell off,not vandalism,must of vibrated thru the metal !!!!!!

rocketman said:
Yep both parts fell off,not vandalism,must of vibrated thru the metal !!!!!!

Surely there's not enough vibes even on a big twin to do that:confused: it still looks to me like it's been wrenched off.

I found the Dealers very helpful on any warranty issues.....no skin of their nose as the get to bill the MoCo, you go over that bike with a fine tooth comb just before warranty expiry.......

Quite unusual that, never seen one do that. Who installed it?
PM me your VIN I`ll let you know if it under warranty.

That could have been caused by someone overtightening the fixings.

I too now have tales of woe and look like I will be needing HOG assistance recovery for some urgent warranty work. :mad:

Phild said:
Quite unusual that, never seen one do that. Who installed it?
PM me your VIN I`ll let you know if it under warranty.

when I bring the roadking home I'll post a similar pic.

having seen some confusion about what happened, let me say this..

you are viewing the filter from the carb side and the filter is still attached.
the reason it happened is because the filter is retained to the carb with 3 x (i guess about) 3/16 unc screws.
if any were loose then they vibrate till the metal stress fractures, it not the fault of the filter manufacturer but the hairy knuckled apes that hang around the ever so delightful main dealerships workshops

-----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------

S.T.Chapman said:

the reason it happened is because the filter is retained to the carb with 3 x (i guess about) 3/16 unc screws.
if any were loose then they vibrate till the metal stress fractures, it not the fault of the filter manufacturer but the hairy knuckled apes that hang around the ever so delightful main dealerships workshops

(is that better or will that be censured too? :mad: )

as my previous post was on this thread

Come on guys, please, no more comments on the quality of Stealerships....it gets Si miffed:rolleyes: :D

S.T.Chapman said:

(is that better or will that be censured too? :mad: )

as my previous post was on this thread

Your previous post:-
S.T.Chapman said:
similar thing happened some years ago on my roadking although it didnt fall off, the vibration caused it to rip part of the filter around the fixed rivnuts.
the only conclusion I can make is that one of the screw were loose, and not threadlocked.
even the number plate was incorrectly fitted, a comment form a certain salesman who still works for chesterfield who used to work for robin bastards, was."so what?" even though it had damaged the rear bumper.
having bought it from a main dealer and knowing the quality of the monkies they employ, I wasn't surprised.
the moral is dont go to the main stealers for any kind of work go independant or do it yourself.
and as for hog recovery tell that pile of horse manure then kick them into touch too!!!!

100% WRONG. Your post was NOT censured at the beginning of this thread as you well know. It was held in a (to be viewed or moderated section) because of the word BASTARD. I ok'd the post I did NOT alter anything even if it was near the mark for moderation. Simon if you care to remove you last remark as we sorted this out last night! Then I will also take this response out. But leaving it here may help others to know that if a post slags someone or swears at a company or person it will automatically be held for observation.

Last edited:

BaZa ? said:
Your previous post:-

100% WRONG. Your post was NOT censured at the beginning of this thread as you well know. It was held in a (to be viewed or moderated section) because of the word BASTARD. I ok'd the post I did NOT alter anything even if it was near the mark for moderation. Simon if you care to remove you last remark as we sorted this out last night! Then I will also take this response out. But leaving it here may help others to know that if a post slags someone or swears at a company or person it will automatically be held for observation.

But at the end of the day, BaZa would still have ridden home.......:D

As I've said before I dont do kiss ass or brown nosing

the comment re censured is now removed. and as you know I never say something I would'nt say to a persons face and as for mocco they can....................;)

Back