Am Interested in Opinions, already know the answer.

No everything standard. Very slight sign of an oil drip where breather pipe points into throttle body. wiped away twice in 9000 miles so gonna leave well alone.
Isn't that the gearbox breather you've modified? I may be completely wrong (and thick) here but isn't the gearbox separate from the crankcase so the mod would have no effect on crankcase breathing. I'm probably completely wrong though...........

No everything standard. Very slight sign of an oil drip where breather pipe points into throttle body. wiped away twice in 9000 miles so gonna leave well alone.
Isn't that the gearbox breather you've modified? I may be completely wrong (and thick) here but isn't the gearbox separate from the crankcase so the mod would have no effect on crankcase breathing. I'm probably completely wrong though...........

Theres a separate chamber and partition within the cover pictured that seals off an open entry that leads to the crankcase. Fitting a vent on the far right hand side of the cover does allow crankcase pressure to vent to atmosphere.

Yes your not completely wrong. That transmission top cover goes over 3 compartments, to the left side (nearside to curb) is the gearbox, you can openly see the top of the gears with the cover removed, there's a cut in the wall seperating it from the middle compartment that vents from the gearbox through the cut up through a small hole along and out that tiny rubber hose external of the cover. On the right side is a seperate compartment that has two holes about 5mm in diameter, one is towards the front and above the crankcase the other is at the rear under and behind the gearbox which the oil compartment is contained. Look in relation to your diptick. These two holes are internal vents the front venting into the rear, although because of crankcase pressure its more like a pressure release than an actual vent. Its almost like harley knew there was a problem and gave us the option to vent the excess pressure from that high point. Hence products like the Trask Billet Transmission Top Cover with internal reed valve vent, albeit an expensive option at close to £500. That transmission top cover is no longer made out of alloy as previous models and now made out of ABS plastic, its certainly well sturdy and can hold a small threaded support with an internal threadlocked nut.
Some are paranoid about the nut coming undone but as the vent holes are only 5mm the nut would merely rattle around in that enclosed compartment unable to travel anywhere.
Although a harsh thing to say most harley people are unable to accept their bikes have any kind of a potential problem, they believe their bikes perfect from the factory. The thought of entertaining emission control systems never enter into their minds. We as mechanical harley motorcycle prophets ha ha do our best to educate those that want to listen. The best we can hope is that some people will impliment these minor measures and have thoroughly problem free riding :cool:
Screenshot 2023-07-19 215115.jpg

Last edited:
S+S have something very similar you need to fit when you fit one of their big crate lumps in tc dynas only thing is they dont tell you until you go to install lump and then its a cost extra instead of supplying it with the engine kit greedy buggers :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back