amf sx 175

74amfsx175

i have a 74 harley sx 175 i couldnt get spark well i replaced the condencer coil i have spark now but i cant get it to stay running once it fires. it seems like when you give it gas it dont want to pick up and chokes itself out any advice?

Re: amf sx 175

I had a 1974 SX-175, back in 1975. I still have a factory manual so will dig it out and check things out - need to refresh memory. Others with greater and quicker wisdom may reply in meantime. (also have parts book if you need anything scanned)

Haven't forgotten but cannot find any of my two-stroke tech books, still searching - hope I haven't lent them and not remembered who to....

The carbs on the 2 strokes can be a real PITA to get set up correctly. Try adjusting the float height (small screw on the side of the carb)

Probably too late now but after all this time all my missing two-stroke manuals have turned up - I'd wrapped them up to take to the Poker Run some time back when the Spaghetti Club were attending so they might have helped if anyone had a breakdown. I ended up not going then wife put package "somewhere safe" for me!

If it does help I have the workshop manual and parts book for the 175/250. For others looking in I also have 125 manual and parts book, parts book for 50/65cc models, parts book for Z-90, I think the X-90 as well (will check and correct later) and I also own repro 1948-55/1956-65 US two-stroke parts books and a 1959-66 US two-stroke manual but they were all lent to someone in 1992 and I am still waiting to get them back!

Last edited:
Back