Another Exhaust Question

Billwaukee8

Club Member
I've got a 2015 XL1200C with Vance and Hines short shots full system not just the cans. A question has been raised as to the suitability of this fitment if there's is no stage one tune. Any thoughts? Cheers

Out of the factory HD have been some what forced to run the mixture leaner than perhaps is actually good for the engine long term. I have a 2017 bike and could hear immediately the lean running in the exhaust note.

My thought is you check out the companies that make remapping devices, V&H, DynoJet, Thundermax, etc and see which one takes your fancy and that also has a map for a bike with the stock air cleaner still fitted. I know V&H do a map for a complete stock bike with their FP3. The FP4 I believe is still not fully finished so I would avoid that until they have added all the features of the FP3.

It will richen the mixture making the engine run better and a little cooler.

Thanks for the reply, engine note is good as is the throttle response no lag or popping. I didn't realise that you could remap and retain the stock air cleaner. Should I be able to find a physical part on the bike if it has been remapped? Cheers

Thanks for the reply, engine note is good as is the throttle response no lag or popping. I didn't realise that you could remap and retain the stock air cleaner. Should I be able to find a physical part on the bike if it has been remapped? Cheers
The fuelpacks are removable once the ECU has been flashed, so quite possibly not.

An engine that is tuned lean will have a fast throttle response initially but power might be lost with a long sustained run at full throttle.

Possibly too old a trick for your bike. In the past to retain the standard air cleaner but get more air through it either extra holes were drilled in the back plate outboard of the filter element or if the air entered through a slot that was lengthened.If it has been done you may find the edges of the new/extended holes may not have been repainted.

If you have short shots on efi Sporty and aren’t getting any popping on overrun, the chances are that the bike has probably been remapped either at a dealership or indie using a laptop to directly transfer a suitable tune to the ecu to compensate for the short shots.

It is entirely possible that someone chose to fit the exhaust and tune the ecu whilst retaining the stock air filter rather than fit an aftermarket filter.

Is there any point of replacing the Exhaust without replacing the Air Filter with a free flowing one and then re-mapping the ECU.
Seems like an expensive way to get a louder exhaust note without an increase in performance. :unsure:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It's the stock air filter that's raised the question but the bike runs well and is responsive. Mark that was my thoughts, is it possible to check the ECU for remapping? On another issue after all the ups and downs on the forum over last couple of weeks it's great to see how well the club operates. I've asked 2 questions recently and you guys jump in and offer your experience and knowledge. Cheers for that.

There were some older devices and Dynojet fuelers that piggybacked the ECU wiring, so if you remove the seat or side panel and see a small thin box tucked away, this could be one of those. It will be pretty obvious.

Otherwise, the only way to check if it’s been mapped is by plugging it in by a dealer if you don’t have a fuel mapping device such as Dynojet Power Vision or Screamin Eagle/Vance & Hines fuel pack.

If you have a mate with one of the above devices, you can buy a license and use it to map your bike. All these devices marry themselves to your bike as soon as they are connected, but getting an additional licence is way cheaper than the cost of a fueler.

Is there any point of replacing the Exhaust without replacing the Air Filter with a free flowing one and then re-mapping the ECU.
Seems like an expensive way to get a louder exhaust note without an increase in performance. :unsure:
Agree but it was done before I got the bike so I'm playing catch up

Plenty of people just change out the mufflers for noisy ones wanting that Harley sound without regard for the tuning or performance loss.

A tuner only becomes "married" to a bike after it has been used to flash the ECM. A tuner that has been used can be used on another bike to read data but not apply a tune.
ThunderMax probably but DynoJet certainly you can purchase a license for another bike. The option is not available for the V&H FP3.

Back