Any information and problems

S

SteveyMC

Dear all,

I am very close to purchasing a 2012 V Rod - Night Rod Special and would love to know if there are any problems, reliability issues or corrosion problems to be aware of before I part with a lot of money. I have also never owned a Harley before but have always fancied the V Rod and especially a large V twin.

Any information will be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Steve.

Re: Any information and problems

Hi Stevie

Hav'nt heard of anything really problematic with them, but not many people clock up large mileages on them and ownership is low within the club.
I've got 2005 StreetRod (ex Warrs demonstrator) 1130cc engine, covered 50,000 trouble free touring miles. Can't say that about my Sportster.
Just the usual consumables, filters, oil, tyres etc. Belt been adjusted twice! Thats jap bike kind of reassurance.
But lets be honest, the engine was designed by Porsche!
The only fly as it were, on my model is the rear indicator assembly (plastic). I've lost several push fit lens covers and now tape them in place!
And no matter what the detractors may say..... it's still a f**king HARLEY DAVIDSON. :D
Go for it.

I had a 2006 street rod for 2 years, never let me down, plenty of go and brakes to match.
If you can live with the riding position, go for it.
The engine is great, reliable and grunty over 6k.......

Looks great in glossy black.....

The only real issues were speedo fogging up a bit, as per usual unsealed Harley kit and the saga of
the wandering fuel gauge.... Not the most accurate on mine

Good luck

Last edited:

Just to say thanks guys!

I've heard some people say it's not a real Harley, but they live in caves and grunt a lot.:D

I think the V-Rod just looks absolutely awesome, but having never owned a Harley I am interested to find out as much info as possible before I jump in with both feet.

My last two bike have both been BMW's, the first a brand new RT which broke down three times in it's first year - twice at wrong ends of the country.
The second bike was a GS adventurer, reliable but also with a wandering fuel guage, which caught me out on one occassion when I ran out of fuel.

I have been test riding a few bikes recently and really enjoyed the Suzuki M1800RZ which I test rode for a few hours, but thought I would just have a quick look at the V rod and it was love at first sight. I am waiting for the dealer to get one in for me to have a thorough test ride.

I am pretty sure I will be taking the plunge and getting the V-Rod next month hopefully, but till then please feel free to add any information/problems that might be of interest.

Many thanks,

Steve.

I have a copy of American V Magazine's December 2011/January 2012 (No. 49) edition which covers a road test of the 2012 Night Rod Special and contains many references including the pro and cons of V-Rod ownership, past and present, within this article. Could prove an usefull read!
It appears to be available as a back issue on their website too. :wink:

Dear all,

I am very close to purchasing a 2012 V Rod - Night Rod Special and would love to know if there are any problems, reliability issues or corrosion problems to be aware of before I part with a lot of money. I have also never owned a Harley before but have always fancied the V Rod and especially a large V twin.

Any information will be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Steve.
Reliability is fine - there's a UK member on 1130cc that's clocked up 100k , and a US member is over 150k now.
Only real problem is peeling paint on the trees and master cylinder caps.Annoying but not a deal breaker.

Steve

Just to let you know I have ordered a 2012 Night Rod Special, very excited and looking forward to a few rides out:60277EB7B04744289C0.

Regards,

Steve.

Good Luck. Nice bike to ride. Maybe we will see you at a Rally on it soon.

I'am sure you will find the v rod reliable,from what ive heard there bullet proof if somewhat thirtsy:D:D

Dont worry about the VRod not being a real Harley thing,people were saying the same thing about the Evo's when they were the new boys on the block, and there's Evo boys now say the Twinkies are not proper Harleys.:D:D:D

Get yourself along to a local meeting,the clubs full of characters who love a laugh ,you will be given a warm welcome

Had my 'Rod from new in 2003, done 30,000 miles, and still think it looks as good as when I bought it - it seems quite small on the road next to other cruisers, but nothing comes close for looks. Engine & brakes are superbike quality, suspension lets it down cornering hard though. Rear seat is not really long term pillion-friendly. At 5ft 9 I had new seats fitted and pulled back the pegs which make the riding position perfect for an all day blat. The fuel tank on early 'Rods is only good for 100 miles, and the fuel guage on a lot of 'Rods takes a dive at half full point before rising again like a phoenix. I find the small digi mileometer hard to read in bright sunlight,
The 'Rod is not too much trouble to simply sponge over, but like any Harley it looks its best after a good polish. The solid wheels need a wipe over after a good ride to remove brake dust, and can be a problem at speed in high winds eg. passing lorries on motorway journeys, the bike tends to get moved off course, but not savagely and its usually predictable. The long wheel base and high gearing mean riding at walking pace is a challenge, specially with a non-attentive passenger who shifts their weight just before coming to a stop.
But these aren't niggles, this all adds to the bike's character. When you get to know your V-Rod you'll find it is a Harley with plenty of soul.

My first, and current, harley is the 2009 muscle having converted from a vfr800.

Regrets . . . . none what so ever !

It goes like stink, has the brakes to stop an elephant and has been nothing but reliable.
And I look good on it !! :60277EB7B04744289C0

As has already been said, the fuel gauge is an indication that it's getting towards the bottom of the tank. It was suggested by the dealer when I questioned it that if I ran it dry, it might get the gauge to reset. Yeah, that was 3 years ago, maybe one day I'll do it.

The only thing piece of advice I would give you is to make sure the axles are greased. The first time I had to get some new tyres, they found that the axles had pretty much siezed. I've been told this is common, but worth mentioning anyway.

And finally, remember that you only have 12 credit points on your license and the way vrods move, they're easily used up.

Enjoy !

Back