B&Bs

P

Pork_Pie

Hi I live in Kent and we want to visit the highlands again can any one reccomend a B&B which is bike friendly and has secure parking, idealy in the glen coe or Fort William area?.

Thanks

PP

Re: B&Bs

Hi mate cant help you there but thats lovely part of the world to visit ,hopefully some of scots lads be on later and give some advice ,enjoy n stay safe cheers

Last time I was in Fort William I stayed in The Clan McDuff Hotel but I guess because Im a "Southern Jessie" (as the scotts lads would say) I could not recomend it!

Fort William does now have a Travel Inn and if you fancy traditional Scottish food there is also a McDonalds with in spitting distance :D:p:439:

Thanks guy's i have been there before but not on my bike stayed in Glen Coe, Just want secure parking for the two bikes.
Regards

PP

You may have seen on another post that Steve & I got married in Fort William last week (after a wet ride up from Glasgow!)

We stayed at the Hotel Alexandra right in the centre of the Town. All the staff were great, including those in the restaurant and breakfast room. I think it was ?99 per night for the room, including breakfast, so not too bad as far as we were concerned.

You said you'd been up that way before, so I'm sure you'll love all the scenery (just look out for those speed cameras!)

Take care and have fun!

Kitty x

I should have said there was a car park around the back on the hotel which was secure as far as we were concerned. We left our bikes there for a couple of days with no hassle at all, and no charge for the parking.

Kittty x

As Kitty says above, we stayed in the Alexandra Hotel, but we did meet some Dutch H-D riders {six or seven bikes} who were staying in the Best Western Hotel for a few days and they just parked on the pavement out the front of the Hotel.
There are plenty of B&Bs around the back streets though, but a lot of the parking seems to be in car parks as the roads are narrow steep, unless you get a bit out of the town.

Now this could be of some help if you want a good alternative route to Motorways.

We took the A1 up to Scotch Corner, suffering the small bits of motorway that bypass the Doncaster and Leeds sections etc, then the A66 across the Pennines to Penrith.
At Penrith we got onto the A6 to Carlisle where we stopped.
The A6 is still a good A class road with sweeping bends but is fairly deserted as most traffic now takes the M6.

Now the best part, from Carlisle take the A74 to Gretna and turn off onto the B7076, this is the old A74 and runs parallel to the M74.

As with the previous mentioned section of the A6 this is still a good surfaced A class road with sweeping bends and now virtually deserted of traffic.
{see below}
IMG_0008.jpg

It also bypasses most of the towns and villages so is mostly derestricted with access to all the M74 junctions if you do want to get back onto the motorway.

The only down side is if you need fuel you will have to turn off into a town as there are no service stations left on the road.

You can travel around 50 miles on this road to junction 14 or 13 of the M74 and then I would advise then getting on the motorway to Glasgow.
You can continue on the B7078 {again part of the old A74} as we did but the road surface is so bad.
It deteriorates with very large pot holes and ridges that it is almost like a unused and abandoned road.

It is so bad that you have to keep your speed well down!

We stuck with it until Junction 8 Stonehouse then got on the motorway but certainly would not do that section again.

From Glasgow we took the A82 to Fort William, this was fine except for part of the section along Loch Lomond where they are widening, doing repairs and upgrading the road surface, which could be completed by the time you go.

After that it is all as expected, but as Kitty also said a lot of speed traps!

Our return trip was via Edinburgh then the A86 with some stunning scenery through the boarders to Darlington before getting back on the A1.

Hope this helps and if you want any more info you can PM.

Steve

Thanks for the advice i will be booking something soon.

Ian:439:

Back